Banding or Surgery???

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Suntoo, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Suntoo

Suntoo Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Southern Nevada
    Okay...this isn't life threatening, and I know it's been discussed, but PLEASE give me your opinions on this.

My baby boy goatlet is 12 weeks old.
    He isn't going anywhere and either is his sister.
    He started his blubbering today....

Las Vegas has many many goats, but nobody seems to really care about them! I'm having a heck of a time finding vets who will treat a goat less than the cost of a dog (IF I can find a vet to start with!)
    The first equine Clinic I went to today doesn't do banding, but they'll castrate (and I think my hearing froze when the receptionist said $167. That doesn't include house visit, shots, whatever.)
    :GAAH:

Okay, so I kind of blanked out but wrote down the names of the other clinics the receptionist gave me. They were nice enough.

Then I found the next Clinic. I was closer to home and still in a little sticker-shock from the last place. So when the receptionist here brought me the list of costs to neuter my 12 week darling, ($348) I really wanted to laugh, but just smiled and said...."really? You're not joking?" "So 12 weeks or 2 years old....it costs the same."
    Yep.

So, I met a guy a few months ago at one of the feed stores who shoes horses but said he'd be glad to band a goat for $35.

I don't know him, but I don't know ANYBODY! :shrug:

If I have to I'll take my baby in for castration, but I'm hoping everyone will say to call the shoe guy for $35.
    I can buy a lot of goat food for the difference (a lot of people food too....)

Feedback please?

2. AvyNatFarm

AvyNatFarm New Member

Oct 28, 2013
    NC
    I've had boys done surgerically and it's never anywhere near that price. I think it's been like $60 max.

3. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    Call the $35 guy. It's not like it's rocket science to band them. Just watch him and make sure he gets both testes into the band.

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

If it is only $34 at the one vet, I'd go that route. It would be cheaper to buy the bander and bands than $35.

5. still

still Active Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Lockhart, Texas
    I don't know if you have a Tractor Supply close by but the bander is $9 and the bands are $2. I would just do it myself. :wink:

6. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    Banding is really not that big of a deal. I would just call a friend or two to help, buy or borrow a bander and do it myself. I know you've never done it before, but neither had any of us until the first time. Make sure he has a Tetanus anti-toxin shot or is current on CD&T first, though. Restrain the kid on his side, load the band, squeeze handles to open it, put both testicles through band, move bander up against stomach - but don't push, make sure you've got both testicles in the band, and roll it off the prongs. Turn kid loose, and it's a done deal. Be advised that it takes a month for any semen in the vas deferens to be eliminated, so if he is extending his penis he is capable of breeding until then.

7. Suntoo

Suntoo Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Southern Nevada
    I talked to the Farrier today. :cowboy:
    He'll be in town next week and band my little boy.
    That's a relief!
    I'll watch close, and maybe next time he can tutor me.

Thank you all for the advice!

8. DesertRose

DesertRose New Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Desert SW
    One year, around 91 or 92 I has a really big buck year. 20 buck kids and one doe!!

Seemed like I was banding all the time. It is not hard to do and I now do it by myself at 60+years old.

Just watch him closely when he comes and next time you should be able to do it yourself.

The first time I watched a disbudding I thought I'd get sick! The smell of the burning hair was the worst, and the poor babies crying.:crazy:
    Just takes experience and you will soon be able to do it all!
    You will look back on this time and be amazed how easy it has all become!

Good luck.

9. sassykat6181

sassykat6181 Katrina

Nov 28, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    Glad you found a good solution :)

10. KMitchell36

KMitchell36 New Member

Apr 10, 2014
    Banding yourself is the best way to go

Sent from my iPad using Goat Forum

11. DonnaBelle66

DonnaBelle66 Active Member

Banding is easy. Watch a couple of you tube videos. Give him a C d &T shot before the banding. Give the $35.00 guy a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

12. Suntoo

Suntoo Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Southern Nevada
    Unless the farrier has CD & T shots (and I doubt it), where would I get it? If it requires a prescription I won't be able to get it.
    What is the CD&T?

13. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You can get it at TSC.

14. Suntoo

Suntoo Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Southern Nevada
    Banding sure was easy!
    I'm a bit uneasy about what's going to happen to that sack....
    (is it going to atrophy and fall off??)

But after seeing what his daddy and his uncle Mickey went through with castration, this was nothing!!!
    I hope it works without any complications.
    My little guy doesn't seem to be all that uncomfortable but it's only been one day. If I see any broken skin I'm going to panic.

Wish us well....please. :pray:

15. canyontrailgoats

canyontrailgoats New Member

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    It really is easy to do! I had the worst experience ever my first time. I went band my little boy and somehow the band slipped off onto his testicles. The poor guy was screaming his head off, and I literally started crying because I felt so bad! :( . And yes, he was quite sore for a few days after that....
    But anyways, sounds like all went well for you lol! :)

16. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    The sac will shrivel up and fall off in roughly 3-4 weeks. I've never kept track, so I could be a little long on the time frame. If he isn't uncomfortable now, he probably won't be. The worst part of banding is the first hour to hour and a half until the testicles go numb. After that, it's smooth sailing - at least in my experience.

17. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    I would be very interested in knowing how you do it by yourself! What age do you band at?

18. DesertRose

DesertRose New Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Desert SW
    I band at 2 1/2 months.

I just get the kid, take him away from all the others, lay him on the ground, roll him on his back and straddle him facing his back end. I have everything ready to go. Reach up on the milk stand, get the bander and band him.

I did let one buckling go this year too long. Was trying to decide if I wanted to keep him for a jr. herd sire or not. Had another buck kid born that I liked better so decided to band the older one.

He was a huge kid, in all ways, and when I rolled him onto his back he kicked up and I got a really nice BLACK eye out of that deal.:shock: But, that is the first time and usually it goes really well and is easy to do alone.

Most of my little guys are very friendly and let me play with them so they aren't real wild or anything.

Since I am a widow and all my kids live all over the states I have to do most stuff by myself now. I have a friend who comes running if I do need help but she works and has lots of kids and lots of animals of her own. So, I have had to learn to do most stuff on my own.