The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!!

I’m new at raising and owning goats. We have 2 Pygmy’s a momma and her son. We banded the male July 2, he was just over 3 months at the time. So the sac hasn’t fallen off yet, it’s black and leathery but still looks to be attached at the base. He seems a bit off, not as jumpy and playful… but still eating, grazing and walking around. Any words of wisdom someone can share? When I looked at it and touched, he bleated and seems uncomfortable… I’m feeling bad !!!!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
That doesn’t seem abnormal to me. It should drop soon and I think they feel better when it’s no longer hanging there and they heal up fairly quickly then.
Does he have a temp at all?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That doesn’t seem abnormal to me. It should drop soon and I think they feel better when it’s no longer hanging there and they heal up fairly quickly then.
Does he have a temp at all?
Ok thanks! Nice to have some reassurance. Unfortunately my thermometer doesn’t seem to be working. I’m going to pick a new one up tomorrow, nothing is open to get one now.

·
Administrator
92,629 Posts
Yeah, I do see pus there.
Maybe take a garden hose and rinse it off well. Get a spray bottle and spray iodine/water on it well. Later when it dries, put blue spray on it.
Tie him snug and tie one leg so he can’t jump all over the place. He will hate it.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
These ladies know what they’re talking about more than I; sorry for bad info! I was thinking that was more the stuff as it’s healing. Of course it’s a little harder in pics than in person too. Lol
I had a baby who had trouble with his banding (got pulled loose when the kids were playing) and had to spray some Vetericyn plus on it and it worked great to help prevent infection and promote healing.

·
Super Moderator
16,230 Posts
These ladies know what they’re talking about more than I; sorry for bad info! I was thinking that was more the stuff as it’s healing. Of course it’s a little harder in pics than in person too. Lol
I had a baby who had trouble with his banding (got pulled loose when the kids were playing) and had to spray some Vetericyn plus on it and it worked great to help prevent infection and promote healing.
It is hard to see in pictures and I only saw because I blew it up ;) and I agree vetericyln is good for things like this too. I would say it works just as good as iodine and water but I usually always have iodine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I do see pus there.
Maybe take a garden hose and rinse it off well. Get a spray bottle and spray iodine/water on it well. Later when it dries, put blue spray on it.
Tie him snug and tie one leg so he can’t jump all over the place. He will hate it.
Thanks so much. We actually have a vet appointment tomorrow first thing… we sent them some pics and they think maybe the bands not tight enough. So we have iodine to clean him up tonight and keep close eye on him before we can get him looked at. Our poor little guy :( I just feel horrible!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update! So the vet said he’s got an infection, and looks like the band was a little big and didn’t fully cut off the circulation. (Poor Winston) but he said the placement was good and sometimes things just happen. It’s was good to have an understanding vet to help! So he gave him antibiotics, pain management for 3 days, gave us some more to give him. Then placed a smaller band above the one we had put on. He said that should finish the job. So our poor little guy should be feeling better soon.
thanks everyone for all the opinions and advice!! So appreciated!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts