Banding question

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Thanatos, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Ok since I have a strong feeling that I will get a boy out of this breeding my questin is...... do the prongs on the banding tool go up or down when you band. I have practices on my finger( I know it will bee different on a goat, but for now..) And if there are any tips that would be great.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    They have to go upright... so that the band slips up to the base of the testies....be very careful not to get the teats in the band....

I also give a shot of banamine to prevent swelling and pain... depending on how big they are....

Here is a great site to read on how to..
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5511009_castrat ... nding.html

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    They should be pointed toward the base of the testicles as Pam said.

If you haven't done banding yet before try and have someone to help you hold the kid still...much easier when you first learn how. I do it myself now by sitting the goat on its butt between my legs with the head behind my legs and body in front. I just bend over and put it on. It works SO well. But definately have someone help if you can. And watch out not to get the teats in the band.

Good luck! ;)

4. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Ok so up and dont get the teats.... What happens if I do get a teat? Is it just painful or someting worse?

5. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    You want to get both testicles but at the same time, not get the teats and not get the band too tight up against the body (if you can-some little packages are small and this is unavoidable). But most importantly get both complete testicles and no teats! Good luck-they may act a little off for a day or so, but will be FINE!

6. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    We did our first boys this year. My husband held the boy on his lap and i used the tool. Once i got the band tightened, he slipped the band off the prongs and i pulled the tool off - that was the hardest part i think b/c the testicles had to squeeze back thru the prongs (don't know if i did it right, but it worked)

They weren't too upset at first, i don't think it sunk in (literally) until about 15 minutes later. Then they acted like they were dying. But they got over it, and there has been no sign of infection or other issues. I think it was like 2 weeks ago, and they are just slowly shriveling up.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yep... that is how..... :thumb:

if you get a teat or teats.... it will cut off circulation and kill the teat ... it will fall off ....just like the testies.... :wink: