The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have recently started my goat journey by adopting 4 Nigerian Goat babies who were banded before coming to my farm. 3 of their "danglies" have fallen off with no problem, but today I took a look at the last one and THIS has happened. I am horrified! Can anyone tell me what's happening? Does it happen frequently or do I need to get a Vet involved? Thank you in advance

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Hello! I have recently started my goat journey by adopting 4 Nigerian Goat babies who were banded before coming to my farm. 3 of their "danglies" have fallen off with no problem, but today I took a look at the last one and THIS has happened. I am horrified! Can anyone tell me what's happening? Does it happen frequently or do I need to get a Vet involved? Thank you in advance
Is it dried up or can you see raw meat there? If it is all dried up that is fine. They do not come off all at once. The beans will come off a bit at a time kinda like a scab. If it is like an open wound it needs be cleaned well with something like iodine, hibacleanse, vetricyn and some kind of germ fighter like neosporin put on it and kept very clean. Not blue or red kote... you cannot see signs of infection with those. And i would call the vet probably to see if they suggested an antiobiotic for him.. if it is raw.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
]Is it dried up or can you see raw meat there? If it is all dried up that is fine. They do not come off all at once. The beans will come off a bit at a time kinda like a scab. If it is like an open wound it needs be cleaned well with something like iodine, hibacleanse, vetricyn and some kind of germ fighter like neosporin put on it and kept very clean. Not blue or red kote... you cannot see signs of infection with those. And i would call the vet probably to see if they suggested an antiobiotic for him.. if it is raw"

Hello! The beans themselves are dried but they are hanging from what looks like a live tissue cord by a tiny little scrap of flesh. That part looks raw. He doesn't seem to be in pain and is eating/drinking but

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok...im suitably horrified. But I'll give it a shot if it really looks dried up at the point its connected when i get close. Is this going to hurt him or is it going to hurt me more?

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Ok...im suitably horrified. But I'll give it a shot if it really looks dried up at the point its connected when i get close. Is this going to hurt him or is it going to hurt me more?
Hurt you more. Make sure the knife or scissors or whatever implement you choose is very sharp and clean. If the beans are dried they have no feeling in them. :).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts