The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, both of my bucks have scurs and I would love to not have to deal with them as often as I do since they do grow towards their heads. I heard that some people band them using the green castration bands. Does anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
While there are stories of success,, I'm not a fan of banding horns/scurs.
First, its a painful and long process and if not done right you just end up with a flat scur/horn
Next, if they knock off the horn too soon, it's painful and lots of blood. Then you have the issues of flies. This is just my opinion. I have never done it but a friend did. Didn't turn out well in the end.

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
I banded horns and it turned out fine. There is an old thread that is a good tutorial for doing it. Once you read the tutorial, you'll see if you want to do it or not.

·
8,187 Posts
We banded 6 yearlings (dairy does) with normal size horns for their ages. Followed the above tutorial. The does banded
was a last ditch effort to keep them. They used their horns to bash everything, including babies. So it was either sale barn for meat,
band or shoot. We chose band.

Out of the 6, 1 had a fever and developed a little infection in the sinus after the horns fell off at around 2 weeks (or maybe 3). La-200 took
care of the infection. All have had a personality change, towards the better. I think disbudding is way better. But, sometimes that isn't an
available option at the time. Banding does work, but following the tutorial works best. We tried to overthink it once and that was the problem doe.

I gave Banamine 2 hours before the banding and1 time a day for 3 days post banding. When the horns fell off (after the 1st had an infection) we gave
LA-200 for 5 days. It worked out well. (but again, disbudding is better!)

After all that, if you have scurs that you could get a band on, I don't see that it would be any worse than a doe. Just make sure you cut into the horn base
pretty far, and make a wide channel for the band. Cut until blood- you have to get to the nerve and veins in the horn base.

(as an aside, I did tell a vet what I was doing and he said he would like to watch, so we had a vet incase I really screwed up on a doe, he was really interested.
Now he is working in another area!).

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it seems like something that is not for me. I'm pretty sure my vet would be horrified if I asked her about this (she's very pro-horn) and I would prefer not to do something like that without a local anesthesia. My bucks are just going to have to deal with the occasional scur trimming. I really wonder if some sort of tree loppers would be better than the OB wire saws I've used in the past. Their scurs are kind of oblong and I'm not sure I'd be able to cut through them very easily with a lopper. 🤔

·
Registered
559 Posts
The OB wire is a pain, go for the loppers! It’s over and done with in one snip.
How big are the scurs? Most scurs really are not that bad blood wise. I had a doe that ended up with basically a screwed up looking horn, she was my first disbudding attempt. After freaking out thinking it was going to be a bloody mess since it was just as thick as a normal horn I was super surprised with how little blood there really was! I cut it off, had the disbudding iron hot in case I needed it and it turned out all I needed was a little flour. Hers did the same thing as your buck and went against the head so needed to be done but taking the whole horn off I didn’t have to worry about it for another few years. Let me see if I can find a picture of that goat and her horn.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One of my bucks has a scur that is about maybe an inch in diameter. I think a lopper would do it. Every time I did the saw before, he did bleed a bit, but I'm not too worried about the blood. There's a lot less blood when I trim them than if they knock them off themselves. This is the lopper I have: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fiskars-21-5-in-Steel-Bypass-Lopper/1001148450 Do you think it will cut it? Pun intended.

·
Registered
559 Posts
My phone won’t let me take a screen shot for some reason but at the base that sounds about right for what her horn/scur was.
The OB wire sounds good in theory, it cuts and heats up to keep bleeding under control to a degree but I like to just rip the bandaid off. And actually the wire is kinda junk when there’s a lot of blood anyways because it gums up and won’t work any more. It did that half way threw a POed cow and I ended up just grabbing the loppers to finish the job.
Other then being black instead of red that is exactly what I use. It’s over and done with before they know what is going on.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
I really wonder if some sort of tree loppers would be better than the OB wire saws I've used in the past.
Horse nippers work well too. That is what I used on my buck some time back. A quick nip...he got used to it. Just be sure not to nip too short 😉

1 - 11 of 11 Posts