The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a lot of thought and feedback from you guys I decided to band my 11 week old nigerian, Oreo, today. I am going to administer a CD&T bc I'm not sure he had a booster since his first. My main question is about when it actually falls off, what do I do? Is there going to be a wound there that needs cleaning and tending or what should I be ready for. Also anything to help with soreness or pain?

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Be prepared for him to show discomfort after the first 15 minutes of the band being applied... some boys can be very dramatic and make you feel as though there is truly something wrong (other than the banding ) I band at 6-7 weeks, I give them their first CD/T at 5 weeks to allow enough time for it to be in their system for protection against tetanus before I band.
I only recently started giving them a dose of aspirin after I band, it does seem to help with discomfort.... For a 7 week old Nigerian, I crush two 325mg aspirin tablets and dissolve into about 3cc's of kool aid and dose with a syringe by mouth before I apply the band.
I used to not give the aspirin in previous years but after a few drama boys, it does seem to help lessen the time they spend throwing themselves on the ground and crying.

I use Blu Kote at the time of banding and about a week to 10 days after banding when you can see the sack shrivel, I start checking daily for separation, once separation starts to occur, I spray daily with the Blu Kote to help keep flies away as well as help keep the area clean to avoid infection, it also helps with healing as separation occurs... once they come off there will be a small spot about the size of a dime or nickel... depending on how big the testes were before banding, I spray that area with the Blu Kote once then let them be, it scabs over and heals fine.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh man this is going to dramatic lol I am a sucker for my babies so I will be crying with him. I think I'm going to have my grandpa do it for me so he doesn't think I am evil!! I know he had a tetanus at 2 weeks she said so it is ok to give another tho right? Can I get blu kote at tractor supply by chance? Or is there a horse alternative like swat?

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I get my Blu Kote at TSC... It is the "Wound Coat" in the aeorosol can, blue label, white lid... and if he had tetanus toxoid, he should be good but will need to have a booster soon to keep the protection going (if it was the tetanus anti-toxin, it is short term protection)

I make it a point to band my baby boys, ensure the band isn't catching teats or pulling hair then I go and do my shopping rounds so I'm not here during the first hour after banding, when I get back the boys are lazy but not crying anymore :) I give them nibbles of graham crackers and lots of cuddles and they don't hate me :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just banded him, my grandpa held him. He didn't even cry! Well he screamed while my grandpa pinned him down upside down but when I let the band go he didn't and when we released him he just continued munching his hay. Doesn't seem to care much.he cried more for the injection.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well now he is acting different, he doesn't want to walk and he is even trying to lick it?! Weird goat position. My hand is quite purple bc I got blu kote on it, wasn't expecting that lol

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One more question, the band is not way up on his sack, both testicles are definitely inside the band but it isn't as high as it was when I first put it on, is that okay? Should I continually push it up as far as I can or just let it do what it's gonna do?

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
It will be at least 24 hours before he stops fussing. Though if at anytime between now and when it falls off, if he gets hit there, its going to hurt bad. A month or so from now you should just notice it not there one day and there will be a slight wound, just keep an eye on it and spray with blu kote

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He is a trooper!! He hasn't cried at all, just laying down the black one, Oreo, is the one I did, the other is just laying for moral support, I think. I actually think yogi is thrilled that Oreo is calm for once, they are both babies but yogi, my Pygmy acts annoyed by the hyperness of Oreo all the time. And like I said they are both usually bleating to come out an play, with Oreo being quiet, both are quiet, weird.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Did he do the 'chicken flop' as my neighbor calls it? :p

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just to check back bc 7/30 was the banding date, and they have not fallen off yet! They are small and hard as a rock. Should I put a fresh band on? The first band is still there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sometimes it takes a while for them to fall off, just let them be, but keep an eye on it. Make sure he doesn't have flys on the area. My youngest daughter banded her Saanens and it took about a month for them to fall.

·
8,177 Posts
The one band is fine. No need for another. (Don't take the first one off).
They will shrivel up and get flat. Feels like a hunk of leather. I have one that went 5 wks. We
just kept checking and spraying the purple stuff on him. He was fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you everyone for the reassuring words! This forum is so helpful. My daughter and I just banded our twins, and they are definitely being "dramatic". It's good to know this is actually normal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts