No does
Banding vs surgery
Told danger of Urethra not being developed if band too soon
Don't want them under too much pain
IMG_20190603_180251.jpeg

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
If I did not have does to worry about, I'd band the bucklings at 4 months. I'd give each of them a banamine shot and a tetanus antitoxin, and band them.

The tetanus antitoxin will take care of a tetanus infection and the banamine will help with the initial pain, and the waiting until 4 months will take care of most of the urethra growth.

Not waiting longer than 4 months will prevent them from maturing into full blown buckish mindset, which does not always calm down after wethering.

Cutting can involve a longer recovery, and invite fly torment. It is not my preferred method. You will need to pay attention to mineral ratios for the rest of their lives, but you have to do that anyway... Even if you keep them full bucks.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I would recommend banding. There are way more risks with surgery. I have heard of multiple goats dying this year under anesthesia either for disbudding, or banding. They won't be in pain for long with banding. The whole area is pretty much numbed within a few hours. When I band, mine normally just lay down for a couple of hours but are right back up on the next feeding(bottle babies) very rarely do I ever have one scream, or act to be in excruciating pain. There is also the burdizzo method if you want to buy one, or know someone with one. The spermatic cords are crushed one at a time, this is about as painful, if not more so than banding. However it is quicker(so the pain likely also subsides in a few hours) and no risks for infection, flies to get in it, or waiting for it to fall off. Banamine can be given just prior to banding/burdizzo to help relieve pain.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
If I did not have does to worry about, I'd band the bucklings at 4 months. I'd give each of them a banamine shot and a tetanus antitoxin, and band them.

The tetanus antitoxin will take care of a tetanus infection and the banamine will help with the initial pain, and the waiting until 4 months will take care of most of the urethra growth.

Not waiting longer than 4 months will prevent them from maturing into full blown buckish mindset, which does not always calm down after wethering.

Cutting can involve a longer recovery, and invite fly torment. It is not my preferred method. You will need to pay attention to mineral ratios for the rest of their lives, but you have to do that anyway... Even if you keep them full bucks.
Yep :up:

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I used the burdizzo on Russ, he got a BAD gang green infection, I had to band over it and administer HEAVY antibiotics, but he got through it and is just fine now, just wanted to get that out there

·
Registered
252 Posts
10 wk Nigerian Dwarfs.
Pets
No does
Banding vs surgery
Told danger of Urethra not being developed if band too soon
Don't want them under too much pain View attachment 157019
Others may not agree BUT when our 4 boys needed to be fixed...first PLEASE be extremely sure that you give the urethra plenty of time to grow before fixing them. I've seen much too many boys fixed much too soon
And if you've never done it let someone who does it all the time do the banding. If I had it to do over again NEVER would I band one of my boys! 3 were banded and much to my distress they were in SEVERE pain. As soon as they got the band on they were put back on the ground but they fell over crying with their eyes rolling back into their heads! I was absolutely DEVASTATED! Never ever AGAIN! Thank GOD, Tiny Tim was too young! I had him done a few weeks later surgically. It took about 10 minutes and he woke up like nothing happened. I also had daddy done, he was put under anesthesia only about 5 minutes and the vet crimped him. With Timmy my vet removed the testicles. Maybe other people are used to it but never would I band AGAIN! in fact banding is outlawed in some countries. Just a THOUGHT..the most important thing is to PLEASE make sure that the urethra is grown enough because when they are fixed too young they have a bigger chance of getting stones stuck and dying a very painful death...just another thought

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Huh. I had the opposite experience with banding vs. surgery. Mine were in far more pain and took much longer to recover from surgery than from banding. All the boys we band get a little depressed for a few hours and will lay around, but we've never had any screaming or thrashing or anything like that. Of course, I always give banamine before banding. By next day they are perfectly normal again with no pain at all.

By contrast it took 3-4 days for my boys to recover from surgical castration. We had a lot of stiff, sad-looking wethers mincing around for a few days. You also have to be very sure that your vet does it right. I've known a couple of people whose boys bled to death after surgical castration because the vet crimped the blood vessels without putting in stitches. Sometimes it works, but other times those crimps just aren't enough.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Personally, I'm castration using underwear elastic, give the goat the grain and he eats it while I pull his balls with a rubber band on the noose. Doing this in the winter, to avoid the flies.
бельевой резинки.jpg

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Personally, I'm castration using underwear elastic
For how many years have you been doing it this way? Or is this something you are planning to do this coming Winter and you haven't tried it yet?

Underwear elastic here in the US is pretty weak and give up the stretch easily, and I think that would stop me from ever using this product. I wonder if Russian underwear is tougher than ours? HaHaHa!

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
And I prefer to let them intact, as long as there are no does to worry about! Yes, they will smell more, but, in my opinion, quite nicely! ;)

And welcome, dear fellow goat lover! They really make wonderful pets! :inlove:

·
Registered
407 Posts
For how many years have you been doing it this way? Or is this something you are planning to do this coming Winter and you haven't tried it yet?

Underwear elastic here in the US is pretty weak and give up the stretch easily, and I think that would stop me from ever using this product. I wonder if Russian underwear is tougher than ours? HaHaHa!
I personally spent several castrations, an excellent result. I think the underwear elastic is the same everywhere:), (
) the video in Rоssian, at 2.30 minutes shows castration. But I do not bind goat, give him oats and while he eats oats, I will castrate him. After a few hours, the eggs of the goat cool down, after a few days they dry up, after about 1.5-2 months, the eggs fall off from the goat.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I can see how that would work, as a kid I knew this horse that had a string tied on her tail much like that, she lost the bottom 5-6 in of tail bone

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Except the horse's tail bone would have kept growing, keeping the pressure on the string, which would not have been losing elasticity, because it would have had no elasticity to lose.

For soft tissue testicle sacks, tied with weak elastic, there is no growing bone to keep pressure up, and there is weak elastic that could loosen.

So the danger is greater in the second case for problems, including deadly septicemia. People who live where there is a better option, and are more inexperienced than Renat seems to be, would, imo, be better served to use the better option of the bands that are meant for this job.

·
Registered
407 Posts
In Rоssia I participate about 5 Internet sites on the contents and care of a goat. Deaths after castration with a scalpel happen and besides there is a period of postoperative recovery of an animal, and after a linen elastic band I didn't hear about death of a goat. Castration of the linen elastic goat practically does not notice his behavior and appetite remain normal. About the weak pressure underwear elastic, I can say one thing, this pressure is enough and it does its job perfectly well. And then, buy special ticks (elastrator) and rings to him ~ 100$ for me unprofitable, but as they say, everyone does as he needs.
Кастр.jpg

1 - 20 of 28 Posts