Banding wounds

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by elchivito, Jul 18, 2010.

1. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    We've never banded before, always knife castrating in the past. After listening to all my friends extoll the "wound free" wonders of banding, we decided to try it this year. Yesterday I noticed that on two of the boys who are still here, their testicles are starting to turn loose and there is fresh, moist, raw skin at the point where they are coming off. One of them looked a little gooey. I drenched the area with iodine to dry it up and applied SWAT fly repellent all over the area. There was no swelling or real bad odor. I'm going to do that daily as our flies are pretty bad. They are good on tetanus vaccinations, having had their first CD/T and now due for their boosters which we're giving today. Any other suggestions? Thanks!!

2. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    Double post oops.

3. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    What you're doing sounds right to me treatment wise. They need to go through that "dying" phase and I imagine that this is the most dangerous point.
    I have never done it so I am curious if this is normal. I can't imagine it not being normal though cuz when something dies it rots and so it would look like what you have going there.

4. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    The testicles themselves are well dried out, hard and dead. This moist area is right at the point where they are beginning to separate from the body.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It's normal, the dead tissue separating from the living tissue is what causes the moist, sticky look, it's a necessary process to allow healing to take place, do what you have been doing daily, they'll be off in no time.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Liz.....keep up what you are doing... :thumb: :wink:

7. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Totally normal.