Banding

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by dragonfly farms, Jan 2, 2009.

1. dragonfly farms

dragonfly farms New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    I read an article about banding and was wondering what your opinion was on the matter. When I band I give the tetnus antitoxin and then band the goat. In this article it talked about soaking the band in iodine before, giving the shot, swabbing the area with iodine, placing the band on, and the more swabbing of iodine. I like the idea of the iodine, but was always under the impression that any liquids under the band could cause an infection. What is your opinion and what do you do?

2. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    We catch the kid ... put the band on ... let the kid go.

Simple as that, and we've never had any problems.

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I have my brother (or someone good with holding kids) hold the baby, I put the band on (as gently as I can, as in not snapping it on) make sure both testicles are in the band, give the baby a hug and hold him for a little while, love him up, then put him down. As I am researching more into using and making herbal remedies and tinctures, I will be making a pain relief tincture to give the baby shortly before disbudding, tattooing, and banding.

I don't know about putting iodine on it. When I worked in a vet clinic, for surgical sites, we were to tell the owners to not put antibiotic cream on it as that moisture just delays the healing process.

If what you have been doing works for you, I'd just continue it. Where did you read that? Just curious. . . .

4. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    I am happy with our method, just thought the iodine was interested and DH said if its better/safer he would like to try it. I am fine with my way and keeping it dry. I read it on http://www.goat-link.com

5. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    I have my son hold the kid, I put the band on gently and spray it with iodine and let the kid go. So far no problems at all with infections.

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I clean the dingle berries and the band with alcohol, let both dry, and then put the band on.

Once the package is about ready to fall off I put iodine on it.

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    We just pick up the kid, check to make sure it's clean around the area and if not then just wipe with warm water and a cloth etc..... let it dry (if you clean the area) then gently put the band over and there ya go. That has worked great for us.

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i clean with alcohol.. give a tetanus antitox in case

and then i band..

TAH DAH!

9. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    The babies I have banded I give tetnus before hand, make sure the gonads are clean and carefully put the band on. That's it, I know sometimes too much fussing can cause problems, especially when dealing with moisture. I would think any moisture could potentally case more problems..but then again, I am always open to new ideas!!

10. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    I agree with both statements, I am fine not using moisture because I have been told it can cause a problem, but at the same time I am always open to new ideas, and the iodine doesnt sound like that bad of one. I guess I am just nervous about the introduction of moisture and creating a problem. I am fine with my way, so far no problems, so I think I am just going to stick with that for now.

I did have another question on when do you think banding should be done. I do my guys 6-8 weeks, and was wondering if that might be too soon.

11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    We band around 7-8 weeks, if I can wait a little longer, I will. But some of my boys are already trying to breed their mom's and GRANDMAS at four weeks *cough* Roscoe *cough*. Little nasty booger. :roll:

So, about 7-8 weeks is as long as we can wait - although I wish I could wait a little longer.

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I wait as long as possible to band - but usually my goaties are sold by the time that they are 2 weeks old - and they leave at 6-8 weeks. I band the day that they are leaving if I can wait that long - which i have never had a problem with them trying to breed before that.

I am going to be building an actual buck pen as soon as all this snow melts - so then I will be able to put the boys in with the "big boys" and not have to worry. I have big plans for what I would like to do this year. I need to build a kid pen area also.

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I band at 6 weeks, DH holds the little guy while I get the 'raisins" in the band, and gently release the pliers after making sure the teats are out of the way. Lots of lovin's afterward and they run to mama. I do spray the area with iodine after separation has begun...when they leave at 8 weeks I let the new owner know what to check for as far as the way it shold look and that after they drop off to spray with iodineto keep the flies off.( my kids are usually born late winter to early spring)