Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by turtlebutte goats, Feb 17, 2009.

1. turtlebutte goats

turtlebutte goats New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Is it ever too late to band a buck? I have a two year old Pygmy that I am thinking about banding. Thanks!
  2. Rockytopsis

Rockytopsis New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    JMO but a 2 year old buck is too old for banding. Most likely you will not be able to get the bander over his scrotum properly and it would be so large that even if you did the band would be very very painful for him. I would recomend that you have a vet take care of him. The oldest I have ever had a buck castrated is 1 year and we did get the vet out for that.

3. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I agree with the above post. I think it would be terribly cruel to do that to a grown buck. Besides that, it could be very dangerous. You are better off to have a vet sedate him and do it that way. He still may have you help him hold him down, so wear appropriate clothing (it's very icky). I have had to do that twice before, and it is still a very trumatic experience for him. I will always band them when they are young from now on, it is just easier that way.

Oh, and it cost me $65 to have each ram done when they were full grown.
  4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    it can be done -- just think about the size of the calves that they band - cant be much bigger then an adult pygmy buck's :shrug:
    Getting the band around it properly would be my concern.

A burdizzo or sugically might be a better option though
  5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    If you were to band, I would suggest that you purchase or borrow the cattle banders (new cost 80-90). Really, the banding would not be any worse then the burziddo (sp??).

It cost me 175.00 to have my 1 year old Boer buck surgically casterated "in the field". had I known it was going to cost me that - I would have bought the bander.
  6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    From personal experience mom banded a 2 year old nigi buck. Peppy was more PO'd about being held on his side than anything....bander was expanded and each testicle pulled through one at a time and it was not released until it was in the proper position and the teats were out of the way. A good spray with Blu Kote and he was up and going for the feed bucket, he seemed to be none the worse for wear as the kids I do at 7 weeks......they dropped off within 5 weeks and was just fine. All my mom did was moniter the progress and once the band started to go through, she sprayed him with gentled iodine.

This may have been one of those "lucky" cases but as Stacey mentioned, when bull calves get banded their "equipment" is ALOT bigger than kid goats......and I have seen bull calves get banded as old as 4 months old and their "stuff" was quite a handful.

Whichever method you choose, there are always risks involved...stress from a surgical procedure or even the pain of the band before the circulation is cut off, burdizzo method is the same way...crushing the cords and leaving the testicles inside the sac to shrivel up can go wrong as well. Either way, it will still take a few months for the "bucky perfume" to disipate.
  7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    I'll admit I go by the 'If the band fits then he can wear it' theory, by which I mean I will band anything I can fit the ring over. Yes, it hurt them, but I figure cutting hurts as well (we dont use anaesthetic on the calves or goats we cut) and banding is better at the hotter times of the year. The oldest I did was a 14 mth old fullblood boer ... it was a case of wiggle one testicle into the band, then the other. But I got it on, so I figure a 2 yr old pygmy should be fine. It does take longer for them to fall off, the bigger they are.
  8. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    I agree, as long as they still fit, their good! And on that note, the last nigi kid I banded was 6 months old and I barely got his done!
  9. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I do think it would be fine to put the band on. It's way better to put a band on in the cold then in the summer since there are flies and dust and stuff that can irritate the banding area. But if you can get the band over it and fit it properly then I would think it would be fine. Surgicially is so expensive verses banding so, idk, banding would be my first pick.