The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
We band at 8 weeks, but as soon as his testes drop he can be banded.
By "drop" what exactly do you mean? Cause I have an intact buckling, and to me it didn't look like they had "dropped" until very recently (he's about 3 1/2 months, I think.
I guess I'm thinking of it wrong though; I was thinking you meant when they've gotten to where they kind of hang down more, like a full grown buck's would, instead of being real short and kind of sticking out from the stomach.
I know, I'm doing a bad job of describing what I mean, lol.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
This year I banded at 8 weeks. But, their testes dropped at 2 weeks of age!

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
I like banding a wee bit earlier than 8 weeks, since I have Nigerians and they can be fertile as early as 7 weeks sometimes. O.O'

·
Registered
109 Posts
I like banding a wee bit earlier than 8 weeks, since I have Nigerians and they can be fertile as early as 7 weeks sometimes. O.O'
I have a nigerian male that I just recently brought home 2 weeks ago, he is almost 3 months old, is that too old for banding?? The vet wants to do a different procedure with a clamp, what is everyone's opinion?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
"Dropped" just means they are outside the body cavity in the scrotum. To date every boy born here was born with them palpable in the scrotum.

I band at 8 weeks or later, unless they are going to a new home right at 8 weeks and then I do them at 7 just to be sure they are drying up properly before they leave and to make sure they have mama with them for the first little while after being banded, for comfort.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The vet didn't offer to ban my Pygmy which is disappointing he was 14 weeks last week and I paid to have him "neutered" by clamping and crushing his sack at the top above the actual balls. He screamed the whole time but was perfect after an I didn't notice him in any pain since just slightly swollen for 2 days, now she says the sack will shrivel and shrink, is banding more or less painful does anyone know what is actually the better option?

·
Super Moderator
58,855 Posts
I have a nigerian male that I just recently brought home 2 weeks ago, he is almost 3 months old, is that too old for banding?? The vet wants to do a different procedure with a clamp, what is everyone's opinion?
Either is fine. If you are just going to have the 2 goats, I would go back to the vet. A good relationship with a vet is important.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had just spoke to my vet about banding my pygmys horns because I had read about doing the to get the horns to fall off, she said that was okay but it's not permanent but to band his balls is inhumane unless done by 2 weeks old, is that seem crazy?!

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
I think if anything, banding horns is more inhumane.
My buckling a were a month old and they were old sore and mopey for a day, after that they just forgot about it.
But from what I've read about horn banding, it's a long and uncomfortable process.

·
Registered
443 Posts
We no longer band, it seems they just have more problems after being banded. So once they get 8 weeks old we separate bucklings from the does in a different lot and sell them intact. Seems to work much better for us.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts