Banimine question - hurt baby

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kelebek, Jun 11, 2009.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    How old does a little one have to be before you can safely give Banamine injectable?

Here is the issue -

Saturday night we came home to find Scout (DOB: 7 May) litteraly stuck in the fence by his back legs. I don't know quite how he managed it or even how long he was like that, as we were gone for 8 hours. He is holding up his rear left leg. He will toe touch with it - will run - is playing, eating, and nursing. No noticeable swelling or edema. Can not feel a fracture or dislocation.

What would you all reccommend?

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Re: Bute question - hurt baby

I dont know what Bute is, but one of mine hurt her leg and we freeked but we watched and she was kinda doing what you see. we decided to give it a day and see. Well the next day she was back to normal, a bit sore but normal. So unless the kid wont use it at all I would just watch for a day or so.

edit* just reread the post. Since it happened about a week ago and the kid is still holding it up I would suspect soft tissue injury and those take a bit of time. If bute is an anti inflamitory then that sound great. Do they make a kid version?

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

From everything i've read bute isn't supposed to be given to goats. So I have no idea how much you would give. I'd go with some baby aspirin.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Banamine can be used.....if you have any ....it is for pain swelling...

I really don't know about bute ....maybe you can call the vet ..and ask.. if your little one can have it........ :hug:

So sorry that your baby was hurt..... :( :hug:

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

My bad - I ment Banamine - Bute is for Horses ------ aggggghhhhh!

Thanks - I will edit the title

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    LOL....yep I use it on very young kids....my vet advised it... :wink: :greengrin:

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    The vet proscibed 1/2cc to my 6 week old kid last year. I have given banamine when I disbud at 2 weeks.

yup I would give some

1/4-1/2cc

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    1/4 cc IM for kids under 25 lbs..... :wink:

that's what my vet told me :greengrin:

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Dose is 1cc per 100 lbs.

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Perfect - thanks all - I will start him on it tonight and you don't give over 5 days - correct.

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I don't give more than three shots of it unless it's a very serious injury. It is hard on the liver. I had a doe that I only gave 4 shots to and after that I had blood work done on her. Her liver function was decreased from her original blood work 3 days before.

12. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    my vet told me never on a baby under two months, it is so hard on the liver and those young babies dont have full liver function

but I have read in a vet textbook that baby aspirin can be given, 1/2 to 3/4

13. ksacres

ksacres New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    San Antonio Texas
    My vet says he hates to give it to young kids, it can cause ulcers/stomach issues.

I would say if the baby is acting normally, it doesn't need any. Save it for when you REALLY need it.

14. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I actually didn't end up giving him any cause I figured after chasing him for 30 minutes trying to catch the little .... that he was fine without it :ROFL:

15. ksacres

ksacres New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    San Antonio Texas
  16. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
  17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California