The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving and barn area is fenced with barb wire. Is this a problem for my goats? Right now they have electric fencing.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Goats like to lean on and walk along the fence to scratch their bodies. They can easily get out through the wires too. Predators can easily squeeze in also.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Given the ULTIMATE choice I would never have barbed wire on my property. It is ineffective to cows, horses, and if/when they do finally get caught up in it something usually needs to be euthanized.

IMO goats need hog panels or hotwire or a solid structure to keep them in and vice versus keep predators out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thank you. I have electrical and woven wire now. I will have to alter the fence than. Won't take any chances

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Ok, thank you. I have electrical and woven wire now. I will have to alter the fence than. Won't take any chances
Great, it can sure tear up a goat or any livestock or that matter.

·
2,203 Posts
I guess I'm the odd ball here but when I first started I used 5 strand hot barbed wire and it worked great!

·
2,203 Posts
Electric barb wire? Never heard of that before.
Really? That's odd. We use it on cattle all the time. T posts and plastic insulators.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Electric barb wire? Never heard of that before.
In some states that is illegal (I think Washington is one of them); because the old electric fencers use to have a continuous run of electricity and if something got stuck on the fence (because of the barbs) they got FRIED!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was really excited when I looked at new home to allow goats a larger fenced area, but its barb wire. So I will work slowly at increasing the pasture size with safer fencing. May take a while to use entire area due to finances, but it will get done- thank you all for your input.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
My goats are behind an 8 strand barb wire fence. They can't get out and don't mess with the fence. Nothing can get in either. Our cows are also behind a barb wire fence and they respect it.

If you really want to have them on the whole area you could put up a couple strands of electric fence to keep them away from the barb wire.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, I thought that might work. As long as it sticks farther inward so they don't touch the barb wire lines. I guess I'd like to allow them as much area as possible, keeping safety first tho.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
My goats are behind an 8 strand barb wire fence. They can't get out and don't mess with the fence. Nothing can get in either. Our cows are also behind a barb wire fence and they respect it.

If you really want to have them on the whole area you could put up a couple strands of electric fence to keep them away from the barb wire.
How many inches apart are the wires on your 8 strand fence? I've got around 70 acres fenced with five strand barb wire. I'd like to make it all goat proof.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts