Barber Pole Treatment

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by DaGoatandPugLady, Sep 16, 2020.

1. DaGoatandPugLady

DaGoatandPugLady Active Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Fort Worth, TX
    What do you all recommend for barber pole treatment?

2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    It depends on what you have used in the past, for resistances.

Starting gentle and building up.

Never wormed before? Try Ivomec/Ivermectin.

That doesn't work? Try Ivermectin and either Valbazen or Safeguard, given on the same day to have a combo dewormer.

Next would be Cydectin + Valbazen (or safeguard, but I prefer valbazen).

Need something even stronger, can try quest plus horse gel (which is the same drug as cydectin, but stronger formulation) and combo with valbazen.

Finally we have prohibit, usually works on its own, so strong NEVER use in a down goat.
    Combine with valbazen as a final, last-ditch effort.

However, if there's a good infestation and no time to mess around, whether or not you have wormed before, a good baseline is cydectin + valbazen.

Iluvlilly! likes this.

3. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    But know that valbazen is not safe for pregnant goats ...

Sfgwife likes this.
  4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Some reason I always think that’s public knowledge , whoops, thank you for adding.

5. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    Hey! Since you are in Ft Worth, let me save you some time and money. Ivermectin and Safeguard will not work here due to the over use of them. Our deworming routine goes like this: Every 30 days we do hoof care. We have 32 goats so it is a full 8 hr day. We check their hoofs and trim them, treat all with Kopertox. Kopertox helps heal any damage, thrush and other stuff but it also seals hoofs. This is very important because Kopertox helps prevent worms from burrowing into their hoofs. This has been an incredible helpful thing in getting and keeping our herd healthy.
    We check every goats FAMACHA. Anything 3 and over, we treat. We use a different dewormer every month....from a different class of dewormers. Valbazen is a white dewormer. It is the only one that kills Tapeworms effectively, completely or in segments. So in Jan we give a Copper Bolus, which kills Barber Pole for about 6 months but we will also give our herd a dose of Long Range. This dewormer lasts about 4 months and kills several worms, including Barber Pole and Brown Stomache worms.
    In February, during hoof care,
    we only treat 3's and up. We use either Pyrental or Cydectin. If we have a 5 FAMACHA, we give them a dose of Quest. Quest is a serious dewormer and is a last resort kind of deal.
    March, same thing but we use the one we didnt use in February.
    Then month by month we do this. In April we give them another shot of Long Range and in June we do another Copper Bolus.
    In August they get Long Range again.
    In Sept and Oct we give them pumpkins with the seeds because the seeds, unshelled help kill Barber Pole naturally.
    Several dewormers are not ok to use on Pregnant or nursing Mom's.
    Valbazen can cause abortion in the first couple of months of a pregnancy.
    Hope this is helpful!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  6. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    How many worm infestations have you dealt with/how many goats lost to worms with this method?

Just curious the efficacy. Thanks.

7. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    Too many. We got our herd from auction and lost 3 goats within the first 2 months. Learned about dewormers here and have someone on this forum close to us so she offered to teach us how to do our own fecals. I am proud to say that since November of 2019, we have lost ZERO goats, although we have come close on 2 of our girls. One in May, we had to give her Quest 3 times in a 2 week period and once again a different doe, we used Pyrantel once and a week later Quest. She was a 5 on the FAMACHA and we were sure we were going to lose her but after the dose of Quest, she began to eat better and gain weight. Her score went from a 5 to a 2 and has stayed there.
    I can say that losing those 3 in that first 2 months made me determined to learn. I have spoken to Ranchers, Goat owners, Sheep owners, Alpaca owners, all in our area and know for a fact that Ivermectin and Safeguard has lost their ability here.
    We have Alpaca now, also, and we use the monthly Ivermectin for Mworms, nothing else.
    Our herd has done an amazing job of becoming healthy and happy.
    With this regiment of hoof care and diligence in looking at each goat, checking their FAMACHA and using a rotation of dewormers, doing our own fecals and Kopertoxing their hooves every 30 days, we have had 7 of 7 successful births. 6 sets of twins and 1 single. We have only lost one kid, due to stress, as the Doe was too young to breed (she was pregnant when we bought her) and her sister died the day she went in to early labor. The kid never stood and her eyes were still sealed. She was at least 2 weeks, if not more, early.
    I learned so much from this forum and know I would not be as successful as we are with our herd without it.
    We brought home 20 goats from auction. Lost 3 in the first 2 months. Now we have 32, with 13 being born on our Farm and one girl being gifted to us from a lady and our purchased Big Guy!
    Monthly hoof care on 32 goats is no joke.
    We also have 6 donkeys, 2 of which, are new babies born to us this year. They get visited by our Farrier every 6 weeks, without fail.
    I hope our experience can help others.
    As for your question of how many worm infestations we have dealt with......well, in our area, every day is an infestation, according to both our vets and every goat and sheep person I have met and talked with.
    I believe we would be losing goats monthly if we stopped doing what we do. I have friends that do lose goats monthly because they listen to their vets instead of doing monthly hoof care and checking FAMACHAS.
    I hope this answers your inquiry. ❤

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  8. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    THANKYOU! I UNDERSTAND !:up: I AGREE 100%

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    20200917_153758.jpg 20200917_154233.jpg
    Our little auction girls.....so proud of them!

11. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma