The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our goats have been very healthy for four years, but now our buck and wether have barber pole worms. (lost the other wether already:( They were wintered in our 3 sided barn, but it has been the wettest winter we've ever had and our 50 acres are just mud. We have pallets for them to be up off the ground, but it's impossible to keep the area clean, so I'm guessing that's why they have them?
We're moving the buck/wether in 48 hrs (read to do that after deworming).

We were planning on using that section of the barn for pregnant does/kid pens once bucks were moved, but now I'm afraid to put any goats in there. How long will the ground have the worms? Years? Is there anything I can do to rid/disinfect the area?

We have our main herd (8 other goats) about 100 feet away in a separate pen/barn. Should I treat them as well, or wait for signs of worms?
I would assume we need to be careful not to transfer to the other pen? Or would walking the 100 feet between the pens be enough not to transfer the worms?

Ugh, thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I think your concern is legitimate. Babies put everything into their mouths, and they are close to the ground, too, so are vulnerable. If you must put them there, I'd clean it out as very best you can, use barn lime heavily, cover the barn lime layer with landscape cloth, and then put pallets and bedding down on top of that. I'd be sure that the mom's are fully topped up on quality minerals, especially copper.

Good luck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, my other herd and the pregnant mama have pale eyelids as well:( I unfortunately messed up and treated the bucks with Ivermectin and Corid to cover barber pole and Coccidiosis because one looked so poorly, but didn't get the fecal done first so not sure if it's barber pole, or more likely brown stomach worm. I'm going to get a fecal from the other herd.
If I need to dose 10-14 days later again, does that mean there will be worms/larva then and I can get a fecal done on the bucks to find out specifically what they have?

Thanks for the tips on the barn; the lime and landscape cloth are a good idea. We have our mama in a temporary pen, so I just won't put anyone in the buck barn for quite a while.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Yes, I think a fecal before the 2nd treatment would be OK.

You are welcome. That's what we're here for, to throw ideas around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts