The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best wormer for barber pole (stomach) worms? About ready to give up on raising goats if i cant get rid of these worms.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
I use Valbazen ( 1 cc per 10 # orally)or Ivomec plus (1 cc per 40# sub q)with success...it depends on your area..many wormers have been over used and are no longer effective...also using the correct amount..Under dosing causes resistance..
with heavy load I treat 3 times 10 days apart then once again in 30 days...then only as needed..with barpole worm come bottle jaw and anemia...this too must be treated..
We also rake our pens, alot lol....keeping the poop off the ground as best we can helps : )

this is how I do my herd...Im sure you will hear many ideas ..best wishes

Reactions: Iluvlilly!

·
Super Moderator
58,830 Posts
It is also important to know their weight so you are giving the right dose.

Did you have a fecal done that you know for sure it is barberpole? High worm load of any type of worm can cause anemia. Coccidia can cause anemia too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes had a fecal. Tapes, stomach worms and coccidia. They have been on coccidia preventative so i dont get that one. Was using cydectin but must be resistant to that. Talked to a dept of ag vet and she said lavamasol.

·
1,384 Posts
Well, if you are more south consider treating for liver flukes, they look like barberpole eggs. Ivermectin plus every 10 days.

Are you using corid or sulfa-dimethoxin for the cocci? and how are you treating?

For tapeworms we use equimax horse paste one time in the summer at twice the dosage for horse.

Prohibit is one of the best on the market right now for worm load problems. I think that is the Lavamasol. Need to be careful on dosages on this product.

what kind and what dosage cydectin were you giving?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Using Baycox for coccidia. Cydectin oral was using 2ml/11lbs. But started injectable orally 1cc /100. I bought Morantel Tartrate today trying it tomorrow.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
I use Fir Meadow GI Soother combined with DWorm A. If you had a serious infestation, you would triple dose and give every 15 minutes for an hour, then every hour you're awake for a day. Then three times a day for a week. I have not had an overload yet with Fir Meadow -- it works very well and worms cannot grow resistant to it. Since I live in Barberpole country, I combine GI Soother and DWorm A and give it to everyone in little molasses cookies twice weekly.

·
1,384 Posts
We had a vet suggest feeding the positive wormer pelets with the Morantel tartrate in it every 3 to 4 weeks to try to help keep all the little worms down, while the system deals with the bigger prolems.
Nothing you mentioned treats tapeworms. Quest plus for horses(has the cydectin and praziquantel in it) or equimax(ivermectin and praziquantel) are two options for your herd. We use the equimax, 2 to 3 x the dosage for a horse.
Ivermectin plus given as an injectable 3 x every 10 days for possible liver flukes if you are more southern.
Synanthic is a white wormer and great all around wormer. I really felt that some of my kids having problems responded well to synanthic,.
I have not used the Baycox, We are using corid, and it seems to work well for us. Plus medicated feed with Rumensin in it.

This year we are using Corid(every 3 to 4 weeks in the drinking water) and Cydectin(3 x every 21 days), Plan on worming the entire herd here soon with Equimax to clean out any tapeworm problems. And for a couple younger animals that seemed to keep scouring on and off we gave them synanthic. My last doe that kidded was in May and her kid has for sure had a tougher time with the worm loads. Been a tough year.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
Baycox works very well..Its is a quick kill all medication...re infestation happens when the pens are not cleaned as well. Giving it once at 3 weeks of age has been very effective here..a few needed that second dose in 2 weeks..I have read that many are seeing growth rate soar after dosing at 3 weeks...A few have even used it at the rate os 1 cc per 15# in new moms and found mom to bounce back quicker. Baycox is not like other meds for cocci...it kills all the cocci..not certain stages. If you take your goats to shows..or off farm for breeding ect...they can become exposed to new strains and there for need re treating..
like with any wormer using it correctly and not over doseing as in giving it monthly will help it not become a resistant womer..
lavamasol. should not be over dosed...it is one wormer that can death ...I would avoid this wormer if at all possible..if you must use it..weigh your goats and dose carefully..Since you also have Tape Valbazen would be a better choice here...
For tape: I have learned Valbazen or safe guard must be dosed 3 days in a row to be effective...
Valbazen should not be used on pregnant does
best wishes

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
How are your goats doing today? Valbazen will take care of tapeworms and liver flukes, praziquantel will also kill tapeworms, but you will need to use ivermectin or cydectin (moxidectin) to take care of the stomach worms. Tapeworms do typically require heavy dosing with a white wormer to make the adults detach and leave the body.

Equimax contains ivermectin and praziquantel and should take care of both types of worms you are dealing with, same the Zimectrin gold. How old are these goats?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Baycox works very well..
So just out of curiosity where are you guys purchasing your Baycox from? The only place I've seen it advertised is horseprerace.com. Near as I can tell they're a compounding pharmacy who's making a "compare to Baycox" product, which makes me wonder about the efficacy of it (and the fact that Bayer hasn't tried to shut them down REALLY makes me wonder).

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
I buy from horseprerace..I buy Baycox brand not a "compared to baycox" generic...there is also another place I read about that has the knock off of baycox ..Kepro :: KEPCOX 2.5% ORAL..i believe it also comes in 5% as baycox does.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought from horseprerace but it is Baycox. They show no signs of sickness. Wormed with pelleted morantel. Cydectin isnt working. About ready to quit this. Selling all the kids from this yr and my buck. May cross my boer does. Too much heartache losing them. I have buried way too many. Apparently no matter what i do cant get rid of barber pole worms. I live in WV.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
Pellets are as effective because you can be sure each is eating what they need...

I use ivomec plus..1 cc per 40# sub Q ...do this 3 times 10 days apart then again in 30 days..this will kill off the different stages of worms..also give Copper bolus...this helps the goat fight the worms as well...

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
You might consider using a Kiko buck on your boer does. A man around me was having issues with worms, when he added the Kiko genetics, all of his worm problems went away with the Kiko cross kids.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a question. First a little history. I have 35 breeding does and 3 bucks different breeds, mostly Boer and Nubian and Boer/Nubian x. From what I am reading I seem to have a copper deficiency. What is the best way to administer copper in sufficient doses?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a question. First a little history. I have 35 breeding does and 3 bucks different breeds, mostly Boer and Nubian and Boer/Nubian x. From what I am reading I seem to have a copper deficiency. What is the best way to administer copper in sufficient doses?
One more question. How young can I start worming? I have a Boer doe with triplets that my grandson is in love with I want to make sure they stay healthy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I plan to get a Kiko or Spanish buck and sell my Boer buck. As for copper i ordered it on ebay and i put the pill in a marshmallow and they eat it.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I use Fir Meadow GI Soother combined with DWorm A. If you had a serious infestation, you would triple dose and give every 15 minutes for an hour, then every hour you're awake for a day. Then three times a day for a week. I have not had an overload yet with Fir Meadow -- it works very well and worms cannot grow resistant to it. Since I live in Barberpole country, I combine GI Soother and DWorm A and give it to everyone in little molasses cookies twice weekly.
what is the doseage and frequence on the D Worm A for goats?

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
what is the doseage and frequence on the D Worm A for goats?
It's on the package. 1tsp per 100 lbs. :) Acute dosages (in case of overload) are double dose. If you have a serious problem like scours from worm overload, or bottle-jaw, they suggest double dose every 15 minutes for an hour, then every hour until you see improvement. I did this, and at the end of the 15 minutes my kid passed solid stools instead of runs. :) I'm doing every hour now, and if he keeps improving that will go to 3 times a day until his symptoms are gone. Intensive, but worms cannot grow resistant to the herbs, so when I can, I use them. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts