The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Safeguard and Ivermectin injectable on hand. Would the correct dose be 4x dose on back of Safeguard and 1 ml Ivermectin ORALLY?

Then repeat in 10 days?

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
Goat specific safeguard is 1 cc per 5 pounds. Not going to touch barberpole.
Do not give injectable ivomec orally if goat is anemic. Injected us 1 cc per 40 pounds. You can do oral for 10 day booster.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Every ones response is different. Which is it! Haha, sheesh this stuff is too confusing!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
There aren't many studies done on goats and not many vets who will work on them. Also the parasites in one place aren't exactly the same as those at another place. So you have to just pick a treatment and keep good notes on meds and your observations.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Goat specific safeguard is 1 cc per 5 pounds. Not going to touch barberpole.
Do not give injectable ivomec orally if goat is anemic. Injected us 1 cc per 40 pounds. You can do oral for 10 day booster.
Does ivermectin work for barber pole? I didn't think it did

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
Yes it is very effective. However, like so many of our dewormers, Some are seeing a resistance to ivomec. Its important to do fecals after treatment to be sure ita getting the job done

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
Every ones response is different. Which is it! Haha, sheesh this stuff is too confusing!
Jschies is spot on. We rely on the experience of other goat owners. Very few meds are tested on goats. And each area is different. However dose should be the same but for every 5 people you ask, you may get 5 difference doses. Do lots of reading, cross reference and decide what is best for your herd. For ex: if you choose to use 1 cc per 10 pounds of the safeguard..do fecals 10 days after to see if it worked..if not use 1 cc per 5 pounds next time. It can rake time to see qhat works for your herd.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Different people have different protocols. Some people say that Safegard doesn't work. It works for us. I've never had a goat die from worms and I've got a 10 year old doe due to kid in a few weeks for her 9th freshening who looks like a million bucks. So, I'm going to stick with what has worked for us. If it stops working, I guess I will try something different.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,506 Posts
Different people have different protocols. Some people say that Safegard doesn't work. It works for us. I've never had a goat die from worms and I've got a 10 year old doe due to kid in a few weeks for her 9th freshening who looks like a million bucks. So, I'm going to stick with what has worked for us. If it stops working, I guess I will try something different.
If always used properly, we can preserve our dewormer efficacy well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts