The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so upset. I have three goats and one of them started with clumpy poop on Saturday. Today his eyes and gums looked incredibly pale to me. I took a fecal to the vet, he said Barberpole worms! He said he didn't have to many but that I should treat all the immediately with Quest. treated them this afternoon, now I'm worriesick. They all

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
Sounds like they should be fine. You can always do a follow up fecal in 2 weeks to see if that took care of it. Livestock gets parasites, you can't completely get rid of them, you learn to live with them and keep your goats healthy so they can handle small loads.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's acting tired and lazy tonight. he didnt get up and run to the gate when i just went down to check on him. hope it's just the dewormer making him feel bad. He's 3 month old Nigerian dwarf.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
You can start him on Red cell (2-3 cc orally daily) and B complex (2-3 cc injected sub Q)) Barpole worms can cause bottle jaw if left untreated..so you caught it early
offer him green leaves and be sure he is drinking plenty of water...hereis a good electrolye recipe to encourage him to drink...

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses(or what you have on hand or honey)
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I will get the red cell and b tomorrow. Everything is closed. I'll get him the electrolytes now. Thanks for the tip.

·
Pixie13
207 Posts
I despise the barber pole worm:mad: We lost two boer does to this worm last week. It all came on so fast it seems. We have gotten the rest of the herd under control since then. Thank goodness! Everyone has been wormed, red celled, and moved to the woods and off any pasture until things dry up around here and it is less hot and humid. Hope your goatie pulls through. Sounds like you are doing a good job with her.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will I need to re-treat with the quest? The vet didn't say so, but I see it mentioned often.

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
You mentioned that there weren't many worms so I probably wouldn't. Or you could have a fecal done in 2 weeks to see if the first treatment did the job. Then if it didn't, then retreat.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update; Carl is doing so much better today. All three are drinking the electrolytes and I gave them the red cell. I haven't done the b complex yet. They're outside playing and browsing. I saw on a different thread that Quest is to be given at 2x the horse dose. My vet didn't tell me that. I dosed at the hose dose. .25cc per 25 pounds. Now I'm worried I didn't give them enough. What should I do?

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
I would probably wait a week since the dosing and have a fecal done. If that took care of it, then I wouldn't redose. If it didn't take care of it, then I would do it again with the proper goat dosage.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How long can I continue giving them red cell? Currently I give it to them once a week. It is full of good things would it hurt I continued?

They are all doing very well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts