The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here know of the best treatment for BP worm?

About to get a fecal test done. FAMACHA’s haven’t been too good. This may be due to our terrible copper deficiencies, which I am working on right now — but in the case it does happen to be barberpole, I need to know the absolute best chemical treatment for this, because I don’t want to risk dosing with an insufficient chemical if I am truly going to.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
It really depends what is working in your area. Then it also depends on what works for your herd. If your guys haven't been exposed to Ivomec, I'd do Ivomec. Cydectin is the next generation Ivomec and Prohibit is when nothing else works. So I wouldn't start with the big guns if you don't have to.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I feel kinda dumb. I was had been checking FAMACHA’s the cheat way, just looking at their lower lids, in the shade no less! I was lazy. They hate getting checked so I rarely get to squish their eyes lol unless they are being held. I finally caught them at a sleepy time today. Of course, sleepy times are not at all the best time to check cause of circulation, but I figured it was better than nothing. I did it the correct way, and to be honest they weren’t that bad. They seem to be the color they have been all spring, since I stopped Replamin. Not anemic. Lighter, yeah. It makes we wonder if it’s a deficiency thing not a BP thing, because the color has held at such a steady color, not worsened. I started Replamin again and copper bolus etc. so I will see if it improves and still get the fecal next week. They weren’t as dark as I’ve seen them previously, but definitely not as light as I perceived them before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts