Bare Basics for milking...

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Kaia, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Kaia

Kaia Guest

Jan 20, 2010
    Ok - we have had our Nigerian doe for a couple years and have planned on breeding her, getting more and using them as actual little dairy goats...but we weren't quite ready yet and suddenly we have to be!

Not long ago my sister bought a couple of does, a buck and a wether and about as soon as we realized one of the does was preggers, she had two little doelings...and, right before this momentous event, my sister decided she's not as 'into' goats as she thought she'd be, she's moving out of state and we can have them - meaning 'take them NOW' or she's going to sell them.

So...you all helped me out in the Kidding Korral with getting these little twins off to a good start. They'll be a week old tomorrow and we're almost ready to get them out of the garage and to an outside pen - the plan was actually to move them today, but we just had a huge storm so we'll wait till the wind dies down...

But now what about milking? Same as with the kidding - we thought we had until Spring (we had been going to breed our doe to kid then and we didn't think this goat was going to go so early either) so we aren't really set up and haven't finished reading all about it yet. I had this whole set-up that I had planned to buy from Hoegger's, when I was still dreaming about it --- but we aren't prepared financially to buy all of that now. My in-laws, who had milkers when my husband was very young, think all of that is crazy - they used a bucket and put it in the fridge. That sounds maybe a little too basic, and maybe unsafe - but I don't know if we truly need EVERY last little thing the catalog insists we do either.

So, for now we're basically doing nothing - letting babies have mom to themselves. She's an experienced mama and milker, if that's important in the equation.

So my ?s are:
    Is it too late to start a milking schedule with her (the kids are about a week old)?
    What are the bare basics of equipment we need?

And then anything else, of course, that you think it's important for us to know that we may be too much of newbies to even know to ask - I'd so appreciate any and all advice you can give me.

(Tomorrow the mission is to try to find someone, anyone, in real life who can help me with this dis-budding thing. We don't have a vet who will do it and I can't even imagine doing it by ourselves the first time!)

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    read this:
    viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4263

And I wait till kids are 4 weeks old and then I separate the kids at night and then milk mom in the morning (leaving a bit to satisfy the kids) and then leave the kids on mom all day till I separate them at night. If I have a stall they go in the stall otherwise they go in a dog crate/cage with either i provided water and hay and grain for the kids during the night.

YOu will want to have some kind of strainer as mentioned in the above topic -- strain the milk and get it cold as quick as possible. I use mason jars for storing in the fridge

3. Kaia

Kaia Guest

Jan 20, 2010
    Thank you! I actually found that thread and read it right after posting this question - tons of great information. Just what I was looking for!

Ok - so I won't worry about the milking just yet and will focus on figuring out what to do about dealing with these little horns!