Barn Flooded!

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by RunAround, Feb 18, 2008.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    With all the rain and the high temps to melt all the snow the horse barn flooded today. Had about three rivers running through it. Two of the stalls were washed out/ flooded. :angry: Rivers were flowing around the goat barn and into the paddock. So the goats were not very happy! They didn't stay out long because they didn't want to get wet and muddy. lol. :GAAH:

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    O My goodness, how awful! It's yucky here too, though even though at times I wish I had a dirt floor, I'm glad my barn is off the ground because of poor drainage. I hope nobody gets sick because of the dampness. Do you have any pallets or logs to place for the goats to step on? They really hate to get their feet dirty! At least mine do.lol :p

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thankfully the goat barn has a cement floor and foundation so the rivers were just going around it and the goats were dry. The horses are standing where it is semi dry in the barn and I have one horse in the only dry stall left. It got better later in the day and the barn seems to have dried up ok for now on one end. I am just glad it is a leased barn and I don't own it because all this flooding is going to shorten its life. It's supposedly 200 yrs old and I think development has diverted water so it now flows through the barn. :sigh: Anyways thanks for letting me rant. lol

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    fcnubian delt with a flooded barn recently - all basically for the same reasons.

Glad things are drying out for you

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Our barns have flooded for years, so this last year, we put in drainage areas, so HOPEFULLY I will not have to deal with that this year. I wish my stalls were cement, I think.