Barn Floor Issues

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by thekibblegoddess, Jul 21, 2017.

1. thekibblegoddess

thekibblegoddess Member

Dec 13, 2014
    Sylvania, GA
    After just 3 years my goat's stall floor is disappearing. The whole barn is 12' x 12', the one stall is 12' x 6'. I have one doe and her 3 kids. We built directly on the dirt, which i now realize was a mistake, but spilt milk and all that. I usually do deep litter, but this year the flies are a real problem so i started thinly bedding the areas that get peed on the most and by the stall doors where rain can come in during a bad storm and then sweeping the stall out each day. Well, since April I've effectively removed about 3 - 4" deep of the floor. And I'm still battling wet spots and flies. I've been putting Sweet PDZ down, and it helps, but have used up a $10 bag in 2 weeks. That's not sustainable here. I need to add something affordable to level out the floors, but don't know what. Builders sand comes to mind as that won't biodegrade. I looked for dirt, but can't afford what i need, and don't want to put down the cheap stuff i've found. I've found ground pine bark, but that will degrade soon in our heat and humidity. Will putting barn lime and sand down cause a crust to form that will be more stable than our sandy soil? After i get it built back up, I was thinking of putting down stall mats and doing the deep litter over that in the Summer and Winter, but I'll have to save up for a bit to afford the mats. If anyone has been through this and has advice, I sure whould appreciate it.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'd put down #9 clean limestone. If you want to do it right, do a layer of one's and two's. Then a layer of three's and fours. Then the limestone on top. You will need to replace the limestone from time to time.

3. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    Seems to me like you need to get some fill to raise the floor.
    When we built our barn we bought a tandem load of what the quarry calls "process" fill.
    It's a very fine rock.
    If you order it from the quarry a dump load only costs about $120.

FullSizeRender (17).jpg

FullSizeRender (24).jpg

FullSizeRender (25).jpg

FullSizeRender (29).jpg

BorderKelpie likes this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Good advice.

If possible, concrete in the floor, make it deep enough so it is strong when dried, make sure they put in fibers, but first get some rock to build it up some.
    That takes care of the problem with dig out issues. Easier to clean. Call your local cement mixer place and ask them what it would cost. You will someone who knows how to set it up before pouring the concrete in.

For flies, buy CV 80D fly spray or Farm & Dairy Aerosol Fly spray at tractor supply.

5. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Active Member

Mar 27, 2016
    This is going to sound strange, but I found out our local cemetery gives away loads of dirt (I have to haul it myself). I have built up quite a bit of low spots that way. The dirt is free, but I haul, unload and level it myself. It's a bit of a workout, but it works. lol
    I need another load for my kennel, darn dogs are trying to dig back to their native country or something! I plan on using the cemetery dirt and laying stall matts over it.
    Don't worry, it's not the um, used, dirt, it's the dirt removed to make room for the, um, coming new 'residents.' I don't know how to phrase that respectfully and discreetly. :(
    The only part that gets me is hauling my creaky truck and trailer rig into a place that demands quiet and respect.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. Vallhund mom

Vallhund mom New Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Northern Arizona
    We did fill dirt, compacted- then a layer of gravel, compacted it and then sand, compacted and leveled and put down rubber stall mats. It's been a couple of years with horses, donkeys and goats and working well. If you can figure out a way to keep flies out, please let me know.

8. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    We have had the same issues over the years. It's very frustrating. Winter time is usually worse for us because our goats don't usually spend much time in the barn this time of year. However, this year we have 2 young does, a mama and her twins who stay in stalls at night.

A horse farm recently gave us some used stall mats, enough to do our whole barn.
    They have helped a great deal. My kids clean every day or every other day. Lime underneath, especially in areas where the goats prefer to pee, and they can sweep out the wet lime and poo after they clean the hay bedding.
    Shavings are the best if you can do it. We are poor (lol), no place to really store shavings, so we use round bale hay. However, we do use shavings in the stall for the mom & twins.
    The problem with stall mats IMO is they don't absorb very fast. Cutting them in half or having holes in them IMO helps urine drain faster.
    I know they have another brand of stall mat that is supposed to absorb and drain better. Of course I think they work better with thick layer of bedding. Again right now we don't put a lot of bedding down since we clean regularly (due to flies...ugh).

I honestly don't see the flies preferring the hay bedding over the shavings after a night of use.
    Flies are worse this year than ever before.

Fly tape works well as long as you put it where the goats can't reach it. Ours haven't really messed with them. We hang them above the grain feeders or near the front of the stalls. We catch so many flies that we change them out 1-2x a week. We buy packs of 10 from TSC for $2.99 (Raid brand).

I also spray the barn before I let goats inside. I was using Permethrin spray that I mix in a spray bottle, but ran out. It won't kill the flies, but helps repel them.
    Apple Cider Vinegar/Listerine/dish soap mixed in a spray bottle and spray the barn areas where the flies like to land really helps clear the barn out. I spray the goats with this as well.
    But if they are really bad I just go in and spray the goats, and worst areas with horse fly spray (We use Bronco).
    I really don't know a better alternative, but it helps clear the flies out and keeps the goats more comfortable.
    IMO, the more you can keep your goats out of the barn during the day, the better it is. I feel that the more they are inside, the worst it will be with all the issues - wet floors, flies, etc.

I like the ideas that have been given for replacing the dirt! We just went through and filled in our holes before putting down the stall mats. I will say that is the thing I love about the stall mats right now - no digging out the floor when we clean!