The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble getting my goats to leave the barn. I feed them grain in the morning and evening, leave the door open but they don't go out unless I lure them out with feed. I want them to eat weeds and things out of the pasture, but I cant even get them to go exploring! Any suggestions?

·
Amber
1,320 Posts
You are over feeding grain if they will not go out and browse...try feeding them less in the mornings. You can even try moving their feeders outside for breakfast.

·
Amber
1,320 Posts
That would be up to you...if you do decide to do not stop abruptly do it slowly as to not upset their tummies.

Have you tried cutting back on the amount you feed in the evenings versus the amount in the mornings then? They are might be over eating at night time feedings so they are not wanting to go out...

·
558 Posts
I am having the same issue. Mine are almost 5 months old and only venture out of the barn on their own in the evenings.
I am hoping it is just a "kid" issue and they will grow out of it.
I am hesitant to stop grain because I want to make sure they grow well.
I am interested to find out what others tell you to do....
Great question!!

·
Amber
1,320 Posts
guess I should have asked that...

How old are these goats?

My younger ones (a group of recently weaned 3-6 months old) hardly ever venture out to browse unless I put an older doe with them or if I walk them around they will eat for hours then but the second I walk away or the older doe walks away they start screaming and follow me back towards the barn. They will grow out of that once I put them with the rest of the herd. I have learned that those young ones are big ol babies and scared of everything! lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have myotonic goats and they are 4-5 months old, I did get an older nanny to put with them hoping she would lead them out, so far its not working.
I am slowly reducing the amount of grain they get and am locking them out of the barn during the day. They still have a shed they can get under if they want to.
Should I give them hay?

·
Amber
1,320 Posts
Here on my farm as long as I have grass and other browse I do not give hay during the day. They can go out and eat as much as they want. But because I lock everyone up at night in a stall I do give some hay every evening.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,805 Posts
Lower the hay and stop the grain. You dont have to do it forever just till they learn to go out. Also, a super sweet play toy somewhere out there would really go far to get them to go out. Even just a few tractor tires leaned on each other are pretty awesome toys :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts