The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm getting ready to build a new goat barn and I need some ideas. I want at least 10 stalls that can double as kidding stalls, an area in the back that is a feeding/hay area that opens to the pasture, a feed room, and hay storage. It also needs to have an area that is workable for hoof trimming, washing, clipping. I need pictures and ideas. My budget is around 20K.

·
14,615 Posts
The only things that come to mind are more outlets & lights than you think you'll need, & doors wide enough to fit a wheelbarrow through.;)
Portable panels for widening or making pen smaller as needed.
And access to indoor running water.

·
14,615 Posts
When we had ours re wired we also put in motion detectors & I fell in love.
And the outlets? They are all a good 4 ' or so up, way out of reach of any mouths.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Unless you kid year round, I would suggest using hinges on your kidding pens so the pen fences fold flat against the barn wall when not in use. That would give you a lot more room if/when you need it instead of that space being tied up in permanent pens. I would also install a central drain with a cover to keep hay out and slope the barn floor just enough that urine drains. You might also want to think about a vent somewhere to allow fresh air in when the weather permits, but you can close it when the weather is bad.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
One more suggestion - I would use raised, slatted flooring in the hay storage area so air can circulate under the bottom bales to prevent mold if the concrete sweats or the dirt floor collects moisture.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
You might also give some thought to a barn cam that covers the kidding area. Sure beats running out there every two hours during kidding season - especially when the weather is bad! ;)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Instead of moving the hay loft up and down, what about a modified grain elevator with a conveyor belt and metal arms spaced at intervals on the belt to move the hay up to the loft? That would probably be cheaper and easier to maintain in the long run.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Are you building it yourself or having it built? I built a 30x36 foot pole building barn with 2 8x24 foot lean toos (one on each side), concrete floor, insulated, drywalled, electrical, plumbing with drain field, heated and cooled for around 14k. That was 4 years ago. So raw material prices will have gone up a bit. I did all the work myself and hunted down good deals on the wood package and the metal siding/roofing package.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts