Barn Organizing

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Jenna, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Hi, I am horrible at organizing :GAAH: so I was wondering if you guys could tell me things that you do to keep your barn in order.
    Do you have any little tips/ suggestions, " organizing the barn for the dummy"?
    All I want to do is make the area in the barn that animals are not housed in easy to clean and easy to get at things like medicine and other supplies.
    Thanks!!!! :lol:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well how many goats to you have? what breed?

I love shelves. I miss my shelves and hope to put some more in. It makes giving meds or havign stuff handy when you can put it out of the reach of the goats but in the reach of your hands as needed. Plus you can put the milk pail up on a shelf etc.

I like putting Sweet PDZ (lime substitute) down before bedding. This helps absorb odors and moisture.

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Shelves are great. I recently began storing all of my medicines and other supplies in a rubbermaid storage container (the kind with drawers) There are about 8 drawers and I have everything organized in there. Works great!! It is also really good because things don't get so dusty since they are in covered drawers.

4. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Stacy we have about 20 does and some bucks, nigies. Shelves are a good idea!! keep them coming!
    How do fed your small kids without them being able to step in the grain?

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    kids love to step in the grain bowls its just in their nature.

have you tried something like this?

picture of Teresa Robbins' set up
    [attachment=0:1egwsb44]feeder2.jpg[/attachment:1egwsb44][attachment=1:1egwsb44]feeder1.jpg[/attachment:1egwsb44]

or you could try if you have cattle panels putting the feed on the outside and they have to stick their heads through to eat the grain.

Attached Files:

6. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    yep, that is what I have right now ( the raised bin) but the kids rear up on their back legs with their front feet in the grain :shrug: I guess I was just worried about worms and such.
    The idea of them sticking their heads out of the fence for their grin is a idea I haven't tried yet. Thanks!!! Thats a cool set up you got there!!

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Thats not mine but Teresa's at Little Wishes I am sure she would appreciate the compliment

if the feeder is plastic you can wash it out with bleach water every day to keep it clean

8. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    oops :oops: now I see that you said was Teresa's
    I think I am going to make one of those, mine is hard to clean and take down, this one looks more easy!

9. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Peg board is really nice to have--you can hang up shovels, rakes, brooms, leads, collars, and other tools. It makes it really easy to see what's there and keeps everything out of the way.

I keep all of my meds and stuff in the house because we have problems with critters getting into everything (need another cat). I have some space set aside in our pantry for that.

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I also have one of those organizers that you put you like horse tack in, or really what it is, a long piece of material with lots of pockets in it. That way I put my hoof trimmers in it, oral syringes, my tums, combs and brushes. Just about anything that you can need that will fall off the shelf. You can hang it on any wall or or the door. Just about anywhere.

I agree with Stacey, I love shelves also. I have several, an it is not enough.

11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I usually keep all meds in the house..becuase it would freeze outside..and its nice to look up dosages easily.

others I have a rack that I hang everything up on, witha small shelf for sprays and shampoos, etc.

12. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    You guys have great ideas, keep them coming! :thumb:
    FunnyRiverfarm, I have a few extra cats the neighbors like to give us saying " if you don't take it I'll have to give it to the pound" :roll: and well I am a wimp! if you don't mind driving the couple day trip down here to TN! LOL

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Shelves and lots of them!

Since my barn isn't very tall I also use the rafters as shelves, definately high enough away from the goats. I also hang my cleaning tools on the walls, my minerals and extra goat goodies are in 5 gallon buckets with snap tight lids....I get them from my work, the only thing about them is that they are pickle buckets so the minerals tend to smell like pickles, which the goats don't mind at all. They stack in a corner out of the way or I can put them under the milk stand.

All my liquid temperature sensitive vet stuff is in the house, iodine bug spray, etc . I keep hoof trimmers, scissors etc on a shelf with the tums and Baking soda.
    A shelf above the milkstand will hold the milk pail and box of wipes as well as the jar of teat dip.

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    All the vet stuff that is liquid or sensitive to heat or cold is also in the house. I keep all my stuff in a old tool box that is rather large, that way if I need I can just take the whole thing outside, and it has the needles and the syringes and everything I might need. I also have on e that is a kidding kit. everything is in it, so I grab the box and head outside when the kids start to hit the ground.

15. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

My goats are leased to a friend of mine but this is what i had when they were liing here.
    We remodeled our kitcen a few years back. My dad was going to throw out all of the old kitchen cabnets so i asked if i could have them. I put several of them in my milk room, i made a plywood countertop that just set on top of them. I used mostly drawers as thats what i use more of, its like having shelves that are covered. I have a couple of overhead cabnets as well. I have a wall with several hooks in it for leases extra collers etc. A small fridge if you have power is great for the meds that have to be refridgerated. I have a box that is a first aid kit. Its red and has things like gauze vet wrap baking soda epsom salt batadine and other essential things in it. I have a white board that has everyones name on it and what they get to eat. If something happens to me and someone else has to feed the goats they can. All of my goats are color coded. Not everyone knows my goats names, so they each have a different color collar, or a tag on it with the color scribbled on it. This came in handy last year when i broke my ankle and my neighbor came down to feed and milk for me.
    Another thing i have is a lamenated piece of paper in several places, that has my cell phone number, my vets cell and home and emergency number as well as my back up vet in case Robert is out of town. As well as a couple of my goatie friends numbers on it. I have it on the back of the door, inside the cupboards, by the milkstand and by the door to the goat pen. No one can miss it. I also have one of those cloth organizers sweetgoats is talking about, its hung on the wall and has all kinds of everyday stuff in , flyspray, hoof trimmers brushes that kind of stuff. My clippers are all kept in a big tool box, you can get them at walmart, i have blades cool lube oil and blade wash in there as well. W hose reel on the wall to keep the hose out of the way. The extension chords are all up on the wall as well.
    Another thing i did was put three inch pvc pipe up in the rafters, I can string the extension chords throught hem. They go out over the kidding and sick stalls, that way the chords are never within goat reach when i have to have an extra heat lamp in there.
    Feed is kept in locking garbage cans and boxes, in case goats get out.
    hope this helps.
    beth

16. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    You guys are so helpful!! All are excellent ideas, Thanks!!!!!! :thumb: I think now I have a good plan for organizing. :idea: Thanks again! - J

17. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin

I don't buy the expensive horse ones, I got a shoe organizer which is basically the same thing. Great for everything Sweetgoats said and more. :)