The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I don't see eye to eye on many things... Yet I'm usually the winner in most debates lol.
Our little barn is red and is ready for new paint thanks to weather & goats and well, we just kind of never finished painting the back of it so it's grey and red lol.
House is red/brown.

My husband wants us to paint the barn and buck pen BLACK. He said it's more affordable and lasts longer and.... I'm still waiting for the and part.

Is there really a pro vs. con to painting something black? Because I definitely want RED, it looks so much nicer than... BLACK. Sure, the old tobacco barns and even old horse farm barns that are black look nice, but they aren't backyard barns... I mean... black? At least we'd see the traditional colored goats better if they got out and are in front of the barn? lol.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Black would be gorgeous IMO, but I bet dried mud would be extremely visible as well as any chipping in future years. Plus, you’d think it would make the barn unbearably hot, but I’m not sure! I’ve never been in one. They sure are sharp though! Would make for a good backdrop for pictures lol

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
View attachment 178743 What about red with black trims? That way you both get your way. :).
I love that!
Personally, I've always been more of a white trim/white everything person. We paint all of our structures white, and if we use siding, we paint it light grey to match our house (light grey siding with white trim.)
I love the look of that black trim with red though! :hubbahubba:

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
I love that!
Personally, I've always been more of a white trim/white everything person. We paint all of our structures white, and if we use siding, we paint it light grey to match our house (light grey siding with white trim.)
I love the look of that black trim with red though! :hubbahubba:
Ikr! When she said red and black i immediately thought oh my both together mmmmhhhhmmmmm! But red is also my fav color lol!

·
Registered
585 Posts
It seems like a harder color to pull off. Also it would get hotter in the summer. Could be really nice looking though. What does the roof look like? Would it match the roof or clash?

·
8,157 Posts
Tobacco barns were black to absorb the sun and get warm, dried the leaf better. They wanted hot, to dry faster and avoid too much moistness and mold. Mold is not tobacco's friend.

A black barn will be sweltering in the summer. And it too will fade.
Good luck with the color!

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys! Red is the winner! I don't want to draw in any extra heat during the summer. I win lol!

View attachment 178743 What about red with black trims? That way you both get your way. :).
That shed is beautiful! We have a pretty low key barn - no real trim to paint, so it would just be best to paint it one color.

This is an old pic of the barn. We're getting ready to add onto the front as soon as we have dry weather and get these last 2 does kidded out next month.

We used to have a pen in front of the barn, so the goats were pretty rough on the paint in the front. We don't let them in front anymore and took down that fence.
The cattle panel shelter is in bad shape - never painted it, so we'll also be redoing it later this summer and will make sure it gets painted to match the barn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts