Barn plans/ideas

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by NubianLover, Nov 15, 2010.

1. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    Ok, here is the area I am working with.... I want to come out about 16 feet from the wall. The whole length would be about 100 feet.
    [​IMG]

Now this pen will only be used at night. I am planning on using cattle pannels (before I wanted to use gates, but too odd an area.) Anways, would it be better to build seperate pens or just one big pen? I currently have 6 does that would be in this pen. (Right now they are in stalls at night on opposite side of the barn.) Also, if one of the does had kids on her, would I want to keep her seperate or could she be with all the does? I would like to keep it as simple as possible, but still be safe for all my goaties. :wink:

Thanks for any input!

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Cattle panels would work very well and they are easy enough to shorten with bolt cutters if needed. You would need to have a way to anchor them solidly though...with the dirt floor, T-posts would work...they also can be snapped together at corners with dog swivel snaps. And yes, you would need to have an area for the new mom to bond with her kids undisturbed...they can't truly bond when she's on the defense with snoopy herdmates. Also, kids fit thru cattle panels a bit too easily, and if you're having kids born in winter, having the family stall solid on the bottom 1/3 will help keep cold draughts from the kids.

3. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    I am planning on using t-posts at this time.
    I have horse stalls that I plan on using for kidding. After a certain amount of time can they be turned out with the other does/live in the bigger pen with other does at night? Or should they still be kept apart?
    I was debating putting chicken wire on the cattle pannels so kids cannot sneak through... unless there is something else?

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Chicken wire is the most economical to use and since you do have standard sized goats, it's only til the kids fill out that they can squeeze thru. Each breeder has their own way of introducing kids to the rest of the herd...Mine are out thru the day with the herd at around 2 weeks, kept with mom at night for 4-5 weeks. I feel safer this way knowing babies are locked up just in case.

5. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    Thanks Liz!
    I am definately going to go this route. It will be much easier than buying gates and dealing with trying to put those up! Plus, a lot cheaper!!