The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Well, that was interesting.

I have a live trap with which I have never caught a rat in the barn. I have, however caught many rats around the chicken coop over that last couple of months. Big rats and little rats. Caught a few birds - juncos. One time I even caught two birds at once - Swainson's thrushes I think.
The rats I take down to the river and set them free. A few days ago, I caught another rat. It seemed healthy and was climbing around inside the cage. I put the trap in the trailer of my lawn tractor and drove down to the river. I let the rat out as usual. I noticed some other stuff in the trap - looked like a bunch of large pink cashews. Yes, in the two or three minutes it took to go down to the river, the rat had given birth to 4 little ratlings.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I didn't think of it as awful, but it was surprising. On the upside, I got rid of 5 rats at once, even if 4 were future rats.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It seems that ratlings are called pups, nestlings or, ironically, kittens.
Because of their appearance, some people call them pinkies or shrimp.
https://media.istockphoto.com/photos/newborn-baby-rats-picture-id487224442?k=6&m=487224442&s=170667a&w=0&h=xwNvwcb0UBe-n7K-5sxnx6KHXMcdw4KDx5vURGJc6As=

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
I know rats are unwanted but they are still life. I also trap and set free. We have owls so I cannot poison. Here in SA those pinkies are fed to snakes.... i dont own snakes but I cannot feed these to anything.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I do not have a problem with killing rats, but once caught in a live trap it is just easier to haul them away. Some "experts" claim that most relocated rats just become predator food because the rats don't know their way around in the new area. That seems like a good use for rats. :)

·
8,371 Posts
Turn the live trap on its side and a .22 gets rid of the rat. Rats, raccoons, chipmunks and possums all are very unwanted in my barn.
If they stay in the wood, I don't bother them, but big old river rats etc. Nope! Chipmunks did $2500 to my tractor in 2 days. They ate all the
wiring, rubber hoses (fuel lines) and ate through some metal hydraulic thing. Plus ate a hole in a hydraulic line. Chipmunks are not our friends!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Pinkies make good chicken snacks 😃

My (hopefully) future rodent exterminator arrived last week. She's 11 weeks old so all she's really good for right now is terrorizing the cats and stealing my socks, but hopefully when she's bigger she'll be able to help with the rodent population! She is from working parents.
Sky Cloud Dog Carnivore Dog breed

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Turn the live trap on its side and a .22 gets rid of the rat. Rats, raccoons, chipmunks and possums all are very unwanted in my barn.
If they stay in the wood, I don't bother them, but big old river rats etc. Nope!
That would require me to have a gun. I don't. The easiest thing I can think of is to put a rope on my trap and throw it in the river for a minute or two, haul it out of the river, then shake the wet dead rat out of the trap. For me it is just simpler to open the trap and say bye bye.

Chipmunks did $2500 to my tractor in 2 days. They ate all the
wiring, rubber hoses (fuel lines) and ate through some metal hydraulic thing. Plus ate a hole in a hydraulic line.
That is terrible! Don't blame you for being at war with the cute little terrors. Been to several hiking trails where it is recommended to wrap your car in chicken wire so porcupines don't get at the hoses.

Chipmunks are not our friends!
Chipmunks Roasting On An Open Fire

21 - 33 of 33 Posts