The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here...looking for help from goat experienced folks...sorry to roll in like thunder.
My 6yr old Alpine is wasting away and has unstable back legs. They bow when he walks. It has gotten progressively worse over the last month. Also fish tail.
He has good pink colour to his eye lid and gums. Good appetite, and fairly active although can't romp or his back legs twist and give out.
I dewormed him 3x over a month and a half as his coat was rough, patchy and flakey skin, and he was dropping weight and balding. 1x with valbazen, 2x with ivermec. 2 weeks ago I bought and chopped up a goat mineral block and free feed that 3x daily for extra copper and selenium. (he won't eat the loose goat mineral) otherwise he has been getting horse minerals and mineral blocks.
He lost 90% of the rough coat and flakey skin is gone and has put on a bit of weight. BUT his back legs have gotten worse.
My other goat..nigerian is fine...little bit of fish tail but thats it. She has always been far more resilient.

I have contacted a vet and have ordered a copper bolus as they don't stock it.
What should I do? The "farm vet" is new out of school and wants to run every test known to man which I honestly can't afford. My horse vet which is a wealth of old hand knowledge doesn't deal in goats. Live out in the boons so not a lot of options. so frustrated and feel aweful I missed the signs something was slowly going wrong.

Would greatly appreciate any help! Thank you!

·
Registered
30,646 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right track....
Ask your vet for BoSe..this is selenium vit e shot...if he cant get it..you can get it in gel form..but from the sounds of it the shot would be better...Def. do copper when you get it in..
here is a very informative article on Copper deficiency
http://www.saanendoah.com/copper1.html

copper will also help with the worm issue...

·
Registered
132 Posts
The fact that he is "wasting away" makes me think Johnnes. I would first start out with what Happybleats said and that is give a dose of Bo-Se and see if that helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you!

I have never given Bo Se or copasure bolus...just loose and block minerals in the 6 yrs Ive had them. The only other diet change is new batch of this yrs timothy/orchardgrass from a new source for the last month and half.

I will call vet re Bo Se ..if they don't have it where do I get the gel?

also...how do I turn on quick reply...posting?

·
Registered
30,646 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crossing fingers! Got the BoSe from my tryde and true horse vet...

He hasn't seen Barney yet but from our conversation is wondering if it's actually not a spinal injury.
He supplied me with the BoSe and B vit and other vit injections to start and rule the basics out. He said we would do an update in 5 days unless there is a drastic change for better or worse before, and go from there. (so thankful that once again he has come through for me on my goatie when he's swamped with horse stuff)
I am in Western Canada and Johne's is few and far between here thankfully so hopefully that's not it. We don't have white tail deer either so menengial (sp) is prob out too. We do have lots of deer tick though......

On a more frustrating note the other vet forgot to call me ...week later...to say they can't get the copasure bolus. grr My horse vet didn't have any so I just ordered from Jeffers...thanks for that contact!

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Listeria has been bad this year ... I would also check for meningeal worm, which, if I remember correctly, shows up first in the back legs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can anyone tell me what to expect from the injections? It's been a few hrs since I gave them.
He seems uncomfortable and tired,shallow breaths. No appetite for the first time. I feel like I made him worse. How soon will I see an improvement if this is going to help?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I give the run down in the initial post...he has been treated for parasites and now given Vit B, and BoSe
Just wondering how the shot affects them...do they feel lousy for a bit?

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
You really need to get an actual mineral mix for him. Talk to a vet they can actually prescribe a mix that a local mill can put together OR just start looking for feed stores within say 100 miles of you. High copper and high selenium is a good start to a mix. Here is a link of a selenium map. To much selenium can often times present with some of the same kinda symptoms.

http://tin.er.usgs.gov/geochem/doc/averages/se/usa.html

Long term copper deficiency can do bad things to their legs. If it is then its nearly 100% that he will not recover totally and if able to walk, will do so poorly.

·
Registered
30,646 Posts
How is he doing ? Bose should not make him feel bad. Little bit is correct...too high of levels of selenium can have the symptoms of low selenium . Copper should help when you get it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Happybleats, Barney is up and moving this morning...slowly, he seems weak or??? I think the IM injection caused him quite a bit of pain. He regained his appetite though, ate breakfast then went back to bed. Good to see that he just now came back out to sit in the sun.
The vet is pondering a spinal injury because after the deworming he started puting weight back on and coat improved greatly. It's only his back legs that are losing muscle and control.
Question is ..is he weak or in pain? I just hate seeing him this way

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
Did you check your goat over very carefully for ticks? Have you given him any pain meds like Banamine or Dexamethasone? I would want to see if a pain med would help his legs.

·
Registered
30,646 Posts
It's hard to say with put seeing him if its weakness or pain.what is he doing? I agree check him well for ticks. I only give hormone mess IM.. Everything else is subQ seems easier on the goat .

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
OK, did you do a fecal? I believe that really needs to be done to see what you are dealing with if it is a worm problem.

How much BoSe did you give? Watch the weight. I am thinking Johnes as well as you said he is wasting away. It is a wasting disease.

http://www.johnes.org/goats/faqs.html

1 - 20 of 46 Posts