The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have two 4 month old Nigerian Dwarf does. Starting on Saturday one was showing signs of clumped poop which progressed to toothpaste like poop. I contacted the breeder and she thought that maybe she had eaten something she shouldn't have. I gave her some Milk of Magnesia. By Sunday evening she had pudding like poop so I gave her some Pepto, electrolytes and probios. By Monday morning she had really bad diarrhea, I contacted the vet about starting her on a coccidiosis treatment. I got powdered Di-Methox and started her and the other doeling on it on Monday. I also got fortified B complex and C/D antitoxin. I gave her a shot of the vit B but the vet did not think I needed to giver her the C/D antitoxin (I got it just in case). She also looked a little bloated so the breeder suggested giving her Baking Soda, by the afternoon she looked normal. Her poop started to become pellet-like on Wednesday, and on Wednesday I started both of them on Molly's Herbal wormer. Today is day 5 of cocci treatment and the last day of Molly's #1 formula. I have them both on grass hay and I have been giving them some browse in the afternoon. Yesterday I let them browse in a small area. The one doeling that had been sick was eating like she had been starved. When I put them back in their pen she cried for about an hour (temper tantrum possibly?). She doesn't lay down and chew her cud as often as the other one, instead she walks around crying. This morning I gave them some more probios and gave her a little more baking soda. She is eating, drinking, peeing and pooping like normal. Right now she is sitting in the shade chewing her cud.

So my questions:
Have I done everything right?

Since all of this I have scoured my yard for toxic/poisonous plants. I found a hidden chokecherry bush and ripped it out and have pulled up every lambs quarter I find. I have read countless articles on identifying toxic plants. I don't believe we have anything else that is of danger to them.

Is she crying because she wants out of her pen?

I am afraid she has some separation anxiety. She lived in our house for a few days and thought that sitting on the couch with us was pretty awesome. When we go out there, she wants to be pet and will just lay down next to us to chew her cud. She cries mostly in the evenings. She was bottle raised if that matters.
I have to include some pics because they are my babies. The tri-color is Patsy, she was the sick one. The black and white one is Nonna (Wynonna). Nonna is long and lean and Patsy is short and stocky.

Attachments

·
558 Posts
Sounds to me like you have done a wonderful job!!
The only other thing I would check is her temperature. Maybe have a fecal done to make sure the worm problem is over. Check her eyelids to make sure they are still pink.

I have to say I think they are both SOOOO beautiful!!
I had my first baby in the house for a little while too. She loved to lay on the couch and snuggle. When I put her out in the barn she did cry for me whenever I left. They still do when I first leave, but it only lasts a few minutes now except in the evening they both cry for me to put them to bed for the night because they know I am going to give them a scoop of grain when I lock them in the barn.

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
Very cute!

Sounds like she just wants attention. If she was in the house and now outside, that is a change in environment. It wouldn't hurt to do the Probios every day for a week. Sounds like you did everything right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds to me like you have done a wonderful job!!
The only other thing I would check is her temperature. Maybe have a fecal done to make sure the worm problem is over. Check her eyelids to make sure they are still pink.

I have to say I think they are both SOOOO beautiful!!
I had my first baby in the house for a little while too. She loved to lay on the couch and snuggle. When I put her out in the barn she did cry for me whenever I left. They still do when I first leave, but it only lasts a few minutes now except in the evening they both cry for me to put them to bed for the night because they know I am going to give them a scoop of grain when I lock them in the barn.
Thanks! I love them so much! I did take her temp throughout the week. It stayed at about 103.5. I talked to a few vets about doing a fecal. My husband does MRIs and has a vet that brings in dogs to get scanned. She said she would do a fecal. Since everything is normal and she is on the cocci treatment and wormer I didn't send a sample to her.
Very cute!

Sounds like she just wants attention. If she was in the house and now outside, that is a change in environment. It wouldn't hurt to do the Probios every day for a week. Sounds like you did everything right.
I have almost finished the tube of probios. I gave it to both of them on Monday, Tuesday, Wed, and today. Patsy also got it on Sunday.

Thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts