Bathing a goat?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Squires, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Squires

Squires New Member

Sep 14, 2010
    How do I bathe a goat, and, is it OK to do with temperatures in the high '60's to 70's? :whatgoat:

These are dry does. I bought two of them a couple of weeks ago and they look a little dandruffy. I didn't find any noticeable parasites -- gave them ivermectin and sprayed them with a horse fly-spray when I brought them home.

I really think they did not have enough copper and fatty acids/oil in their diet before. Coat is a little harsh, a little brown where it should be black, and now I really notice the dandruff (maybe growing out the coat since I put them on a better diet?).

I do not think they have ever been bathed and I wouldn't worry about it, but, I am taking them to an AI class and the goat gathering near Cortland, NY this weekend and would like them to look "presentable." Hooves are trimmed (first time in their lives, I think) and now for the dandruffy coats . . .

Anyway, I have some "Mane & Tail" shampoo and a hose with an adjustable sprinkler head (dial-a sprinkle/spray/flood, etc.) Is there a good way to go about this? :ponder:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes you can bathe a goat

whats the normal temps its been around there? if its been in the 60-70 then go right ahead. If its been like here in the 80-90-100 then bathing in the cooler temps could cause them to get sick.

For me since mine are little goats I bring them inside- but I dont think you have that ability. So canyou lock them in the barn and put a coat on them? Can you dry them with a hair dryer?

Just dont want them to get chilled and then sick.

3. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

I use a hose. I have a goat shampoo that is specifically for dry skin but I think the Mane & Tail shampoo should work pretty good too (don't they make a conditioner too?).
    Anyhow, I towel dry them right after & keep an eye so they don't start shivering. Pick a nice sunny day when the wind isn't blowing much.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That the way I do also..... :thumb:

5. Oat Bucket Farm

Oat Bucket Farm New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Yep, bathe them in the sun, towel them off and then make sure they have a nice sunny spot to finish drying.