The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a good itchy goat shampoo? I heard dawn dish soap dries out their skin and i have a Nannie that has been very itchy lately so i was going to bathe her she is usually good about it. And I put stuff like sevin dust on my chickens to keeps Bugs off them could i put something like that on my boer goats or do you think they might eat it and get sick? It says safe for dogs and cats? What do you do to yours? Im a little new. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
What about Aveeno baby shampoo? it's an oat formula. That may work, and it shouldn't dry out their skin since it's formulated for infants. I haven't tried it, it's just a thought! :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like it might work i didn't think of that. Maybe ill use some kind of puppy shampoo and use that after. Thank you. :D

·
Registered
693 Posts
Let me know if you do try it! None of my girls need a bath right now, and I just as soon not make them hate me for no reason, but I'd love to hear if it works!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will! :D a few of mine hate water, some dont care as long as i let them eat during a bath, and some very oddly (ussually bottle babies) love it. I dont know they are all different i guess. Lol

·
Registered
635 Posts
All my Toggs get an annual pre-clip bath with Mane N Tail shampoo and then a rub down with the same brand conditioner. They hate it, my clipper blades love it. A good haircut gets rid of bugs. Sunshine kills mites.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never shaved my goats before. Is it hard? I'd hate it if i cut them. What kind of shears? I have dog clippers and a very sweet cocker spaniel i could use as practice she will probably sit way more still. Will those work or is there a special kind? Thanks for helping. :D ill try mane and tail too. And if i can find out how i might even try to post before and after pics
lol. Still trying to figure this site out.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I've always used baby shampoo on my dogs - that way it wont burn if it gets in their eyes. Plus it makes their skin silky soft and doesnt' seem to irritate their skin. Might try that on the goats too!

I had one doe with VERY flaky itchy skin and adding 1/2c per day of black oil sunflower seed (BOSS) has helped a TON! Flakes are almost gone after only a month. In fact I might start scaling it back a bit as their coat is starting to feel a bit on the greasy side (though they also haven't been bathed since I got them last July - waiting for warm weather).

·
Registered
635 Posts
Dog clippers might work. I use an Oster A5 horse clipper with a number 10 blade for general clipping. Other blades for critical show clipping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts