The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Haflinger will NOT stop rolling in the mud. And by the time I get out there to groom, it’s dried and caked on. I’ve tried rough brushes (carefully) and can’t get it off. I’m thinking the only way to get it off is by bathing. It’s in the high 50s and really sunny today, do you think a bath would be ok? There is not a cloud in the sky, and it feels a lot warmer than it says it is.

Also, how do y’all handle caked on mud in the cold winter months?

·
Registered
444 Posts
My Haflinger will NOT stop rolling in the mud. And by the time I get out there to groom, it's dried and caked on. I've tried rough brushes (carefully) and can't get it off. I'm thinking the only way to get it off is by bathing. It's in the high 50s and really sunny today, do you think a bath would be ok? There is not a cloud in the sky, and it feels a lot warmer than it says it is.

Also, how do y'all handle caked on mud in the cold winter months?
Yes, I think a bath would be fine as long as you keep him in the sun until he's dry, working him after the bath can help with that. After you finish spray him with Showsheen or another kind of conditioner that will prevent mud from sticking and makes it much easier to brush off.

Caked on mud is easiest to get off when you wet it. If you really want to keep him clean though, you can keep him stalled.

·
8,265 Posts
After he is clean and dry, put some "show sheen" on him. It will make him shiny the hair slick and mud won't stick as well. (Used to do that to all our horses when we had a big stable.). I think they still sell it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts