Bathing Horses in the Cold?

Discussion in 'Horses' started by Green Mountain Farm, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Green Mountain Farm

Green Mountain Farm Active Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    My Haflinger will NOT stop rolling in the mud. And by the time I get out there to groom, it’s dried and caked on. I’ve tried rough brushes (carefully) and can’t get it off. I’m thinking the only way to get it off is by bathing. It’s in the high 50s and really sunny today, do you think a bath would be ok? There is not a cloud in the sky, and it feels a lot warmer than it says it is.

Also, how do y’all handle caked on mud in the cold winter months?

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  2. Morning Star Farm

Morning Star Farm Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Yes, I think a bath would be fine as long as you keep him in the sun until he's dry, working him after the bath can help with that. After you finish spray him with Showsheen or another kind of conditioner that will prevent mud from sticking and makes it much easier to brush off.

Caked on mud is easiest to get off when you wet it. If you really want to keep him clean though, you can keep him stalled.

Green Mountain Farm likes this.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree, as long as the horse dries.

Green Mountain Farm likes this.
  4. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    After he is clean and dry, put some "show sheen" on him. It will make him shiny the hair slick and mud won't stick as well. (Used to do that to all our horses when we had a big stable.). I think they still sell it.

Damfino and Green Mountain Farm like this.
  5. Green Mountain Farm

Green Mountain Farm Active Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    Thank you! I gave him a bath and will look into getting some show sheen. :)

Morning Star Farm likes this.