The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have a herd of 7 Boers. There are 4 does, 2 kids(1 doeling and 1 buckling), and one buck. Their ages range from 10 weeks to 5 years. They are all battling anemia and worms.
Two weeks ago I took a 8 week kid to the vet. Her blood cell count was 6. She had an emergency blood transfusion. One week later, she passed away, anemic again.
When I took her to the vet I also took a fecal of the entire herd. All except for one was heavy with coccidia and worms. For 3 days they were treated with dewormer and coccidia meds. They didn’t work.
I just took another fecal to the vets and they have all gotten worse. Way worse. Now they are all almost double of what they were. The goat that didn’t have any now as 108. They are giving me valbazen and cydectin (though when she gave it to me she said panacure).
I will be bleaching their feed troughs and water buckets. We are trying to get another pasture fenced because we have not been rotating pens.
I’m not sure what else to do. I’ve never had problems with worms before. There is a bunch of vets working together trying to help with this but nothing seems to be working.
The kids are getting red cell every morning and everyone’s FAMACHA scores are 4 and 5.
What else can I do? I’m just so stressed out right now. School starts next week and I won’t have as much time to take care of them. Is there any natural stuff I can give them along with the dewormer? Please don’t hesitate to share. At this point I am willing to do anything. Help please.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ll have to dig back for the coccidia meds. But they got three days of panacure dewormer, oral.
They get mannapro goat minerals free choice. They also get calf manna and apple treats with probiotics mixed with their feed.
They are currently in a pretty small pen so I’m sure that I asked for the worms. Little to no browse, but they do get free fed grass hay and alfalfa in the mornings (not the buck though, he just gets hay and a small amount of grain with the same supplements and minerals).
I am moving them to a brand new pasture first thing in the morning. It’s very tall, green, and juicy. What can I give them to discourage bloat? All of them are vaccinated with CD&T.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I advise against deworming and/or putting wormy goats on a fresh pasture. That will just contaminate it in no time. I would get these goats clean before moving them.

Panacur/Safeguard is practically useless against anything other than tapeworms nowadays. Ivermectin, Cydectin, Moxidectin, and Valbazen are just a few dewormers that would have higher efficiency depending on your area. Dual-deworming from at least two different classes is also an option.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Be sure that they have enough copper in their systems. That really does make a HUGE difference. We have to use Prohibit (Levimisole) on some of the worms at our place in southeast Texas. We actually experimented with different wormers on different goats over a few weeks and looked at the fecals from them. Cydectin killed Barberpole, only Prohibit killed trichostrongyles. This summer we have given Cydectin and Prohibit together along with copper boluses. It has worked for us.

·
Registered
11,230 Posts
Actually if there is no browse left in their current pen, like literally bare dirt, then keep them there. What you don't want is super short grass that they nibble constantly.

Is the hay and alfalfa being fed up off the ground?

Confirm that the vet gave you Valbazen and Cydectin then tell us what dosages you are giving those at.

Are all these goats related?

If they have never been copper bolused, get that done ASAP.

How much hay and grain are they all getting each day?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I ended up calling my goat vet to ask if I should move them. She and several others looks at pics of the pen and said yes. There is plenty of grass and browse in that pen but they had nibbled it to about 1/2 in. So I moved all the girls.
I can’t put my buck in with the girls until rut does he is in the old pen by himself. I will be putting my buckling in with him in about two weeks. Until then then I am looking for a very good buck apron.
Yes the hay and alfalfa is being fed up off the ground. In a cows feed trough. This morning I bleached all the food and water buckets, including the trough.
I called and asked what they gave me. They gave me one dose of cydectin and one does of panacur. They had already drew them up in syringes for oral. I looked and they gave for both 1 ml per 10#.
Not all of them are related. I have a mother, a daughter, and a granddaughter in one family group. Then I have a mother and son in another family group. Then I have a buck that is not related to any of them. I forgot that the other doe I have is not a boer. She is ND and Nubian cross I think. So I have 6 Boers and a mix.
They have never been copper bolused. I will get that done very soon.
They are getting a loaf of alfalfa, free choice hay (they get a mountain in the morning and they eat it all day), and about 2 quarts of feed including supplements, I’ll have to weigh it. Free choice minerals. The buck gets 1 quart of feed including supplements. And free choice hay also.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Grass Goat Terrestrial animal Goat-antelope Plant

Goat Terrestrial animal Working animal Goat-antelope Snout

Vertebrate Working animal Grass Goat Terrestrial animal

Here are some pics of the the three main dams I have. All pure blood boer.
The first is 5 yr old. She kidded about 10 weeks ago.
The second is 2 yr old. She also kidded about 10 weeks ago.
The third is 3 1/2 yr old. She is not bred nor has she kidded since I have had her. She is the second goat's dam.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Do you see them eating their minerals a lot?
I agree on copper bolusing them all.

Also need to address parasites and cocci, with the correct dosages/medications.

Another option could be Bioworma

We have used Land of Havilah herbals with good results

For anemia treatment they need red cell daily, as well as b12 injections daily.
Dosage for red cell is 6cc/100lbs.

Dosage for the high level B complex (that has 1000 mcg B12 per ml, highest concentration you can get without a prescription) is 12cc per 100lbs.

This dosage gives the goat the same amount of b12 that they would get from the prescription b12, which has 3000 mcg of B12 per ml. If you can get the prescription kind from your vet then that would be better because you wouldn't have to give such large injections. Dosage for the 3000 mcg kind is 4cc per 100lbs.

I've also seen people say that a cobalt block helps with anemia.

Searching the forum can also yield a ton of info.

Reactions: Iluvlilly!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They have access to fresh, clean water at all times. Their water tubs get changed and scrubbed every week.
I have seen them nibbling they’re minerals. They seem to eat more at some times.
Forgot to add that the mix doe is possibly pregnant. Was exposed to the buck for several days back in the beginning of July.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts