Battling Worms and parasites

Discussion in 'Parasites' started by Boers4ever, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    GUESS WHAT EVERYONE!!! My adult goats are now worm free!!!!! My newest addition has worms and is being treated, and my buckling is being treated for barberpole and coccidia again. They gave me 5 days of panacur and the last day is levamisole.
    I took Sunshine to the vet today with all the fecals. The vet looked at her cut. She ended up with 5 stitches and her horns got tipped to the hairline for show next month.
    To answer @toth boer goats question, yes she is completely up to date on CD&T.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad things are going well. :goodjob:

Good she is up to date on her CD&T. ;)

MadHouse likes this.

3. Jeremy Rutledge

Jeremy Rutledge New Member

Sep 9, 2020
    Illinois
    If you haven’t given them corrid and a cooper bolus i would do so. Over 50lbs a 4mg bolus under 50 a 2 Mg. We have had great luck with corrid for coccidiosis issues. When they get bad anemia we use red cell and an iron shot.

4. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Thanks everyone! Can you believe that I had to take Sunshine to the vet today for a upper respiratory infection?! Her temp was 106! She got two shots of antibiotics and a shot of banamine. It’s pretty hot so she is in the barn with a fan blowing. Luckily we caught it just in time. The vet said that she should be ok.

5. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Sorry my bad. It was one shot of antibiotics, Draxxin. She also just got 6 oz of electrolytes.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  6. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I’m not very familiar with Draxxin, but it may be one that needs to be a multiple day treatment. @happybleats ?

7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Draxxin is a 7 day shot.

8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Draxxin is one long acting antibiotic that works well. 2 shots 7 days apart. It goes directly to the lungs so makes it effective. How ever my vet suggest if fever persists after 24 hours then a secondary antibiotic between the two Draxxin shots maybe needed.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Well Sunshine is getting better. She is nibbling on grain and alfalfa. She hasn’t been getting up much lately and this morning I found out why. She is limping on her right hind leg. I’m still giving electrolytes in the morning and evenings. I’m also giving a dose of banamine in the mornings for pain.

toth boer goats and Iluvlilly! like this.
  11. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    IMG_4431.jpg
    IMG_4446.jpg

Here’s some recent pics of her horns, the second one is when I took her for a walk a few days ago.

ksalvagno and Iluvlilly! like this.
  12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    She is cute.

Glad she is better. :)

Iluvlilly! and MadHouse like this.
  13. Danielle Stormes

Danielle Stormes Member

Apr 7, 2020
    New Jersey
    So happy your herd is doing better. I was wondering what your vet did to do get the horns down like that?

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  14. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    He used some special horn wire and just sawed them off at the hairline. Then they use a hot metal iron to burn them so that they won’t bleed. After that they put some antibiotic spray on them to protect from flys and such. The whole thing takes less then 5 minutes after they numb it. And it’s waaay less gruesome then dehorning. Within a few days they are completely fine. It’s called tipping. Normally you can just tell your vet to tip them to the hairline, that’s would we do.
    Well I took Sunshine’s temp this morning and it was 105. Otherwise she is eating/drinking ok. Not like she should, but at least she’s gettin a little nourishment. I gave her banamine as soon as I saw the thermometer reading. I called the vet and he said to take it again early tomorrow morning and if it’s the same to call him and he’ll get some stronger antibiotics prepared. She also got 9 oz of electrolytes this evening. And she’s not limping anymore (matter of fact I had to chase her in circles to give her the electrolytes, she is really fast).