The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought it might be educational to have more videos up. I know that as a first time goaty midwife I watched everything I could in preparation.

I got the first delivery on camera. The second I didn't because it required assistance and my husband had stepped out of the stall when I finally pulled enough to get the kid out.

I plan on catching as much as I can of all of our births this year :)

·
4,499 Posts
Wow! Nice video...I noticed that you did little 'intervention' during the birth... can I ask: what did you see in the bubble for most of that waiting time? could you see hooves or nose?
I was trying to push for her!! It seemed to take so long, but I guess it was really just minutes...
I'm looking forward to my first kidding next month - So thanks so much for filming this!
Heidi

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trust me, it felt like forever in the stall too! That's why I kept leaning forward, because I was getting worried about the time it took.

The first bubble, when she was pointing left, was the empty water sack - she actually passed two of those. Then in the bubble with the baby came the head and feet. I could see his little nose, and both forefeet with the first baby in the sack.

The second baby had it's hoof sticking out of mom, but nothing else for a ridiculously long time. That was the one that with Liz's help, I was able to assist. She had stopped pushing and was just paying attention to baby #1. Now, watching the video, I can see that it was going to happen because she didn't really even finish pushing baby #1 out for quite awhile.

It's really funny - this was the first kidding I was able to be present for and it is a really instinctive thing. I knew something was wrong (maybe it's just being female, and a mom) when she didn't push him out the whole way for a long time. It wasn't a bad birth, like some stories that I've read, but it did require intervention.

I'm sure you're going to do wonderfully for your kidding!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts