Baycox Information

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goatsrus, Sep 16, 2010.

1. goatsrus

goatsrus New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    If anyone has used Baycox, I would like to get more information about it. We have had some resistance this year to Sulfas and Corid, so I'm needing another alternative before kidding season comes around again. If anyone here has used Baycox, my questions are: Did it work for you and did you run fecals to see how well it worked? Which Baycox did you buy - Cattle, Piglet, or Horse paste? What dosage? At what age did you start using it on kids? Finally, where is the best place to find Baycox?
    Our local vets are just not interested in purchasing any, because of the cost, and they really don't know how to use it in goats. So, hopefully someone here has used it and can answer my "many" questions.
    Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes I have used it - no I didnt do a fecal before and after. And I had mixed results with it.

SMZ from your vet would be a good option as well as Dimethox (have you tried that? its OTC)

3. goatsrus

goatsrus New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Yes I have used Di-methox for years, sometimes Corid will work, sometimes the TMZ will work. Looking for an alernative when my other options fail.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I need to do more research on my own before I will totally back it as a good coccidia medication to rely on. But other then one goat personally everyone did look to bounce back and recover including an adult. But I have heard of at least 2 other people's goats who didnt respond to it. One in CA and one in MA

I still plan on using it myself though.

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    We just started using Baycox this year. We have had awesome results from it. I had some kids this year who were showing cocci signs...runny poo and whatnot...treated them and a couple days later they were completely cleared up and looked much perkier and after a few weeks they are growing awesome.

We used the piglet treatment. Honestly, I don't think there has been that much research done on it. I haven't been using it long enough to give ya much information. I did start a thread on Baycox awhile back...use the search...there was some good info. in that thread.

It's expensive, but in my opinion it's worth it.

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    See... I used it and it hasn't worked well for me at all... :shrug:

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you cant say that 100% Ashley-- remember the kid pen fecal came back clear. I think it doesnt work when the kid has multiple issues - at least thats whats been my limited experience. Duno why it wont work though - poor Secret

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I said hasn't worked well. ;)

And I had kids I treated with it, with cocci, that weren't in the kid pen. It didn't work at all on them. They are the ones I had to switch to double sulfa meds.. SMZ and dimethox.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Semantics :p

Yah I know - thats why I said some have had good results while others not so much

Im sure cocci is something we still dont have a full grasp on its workings in goats. I think there has got to be different "kinds" like worms. Or maybe I am just way out in left field :shrug:

10. goatsrus

goatsrus New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Thanks for the input. At what age did you give it to your kids?

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    at like 2 weeks and then every 3 weeks after that till they reached 3 months of age

12. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Staci and I were just texting about this a day or two ago. I ordered the piglet Baycox and was please with the results in most of my young and "teenage" kids...but I have this one young doeling who does not seem to be responding to that treatment. She just looks unthrifty. Granted, she's runt of the litter and one of three so she's not gotten much nurse time and will eat anything she can pick up off the ground...any-who-how, I treated her with Baycox and 7 days later, ran a fecal ..It was 3+. Tomorrow I am picking up some ALbon anbd dosing her -- but as I said to Stacey -- the piglet dose is 1cc/15lbs. Do we need to dose higher to factor in what might be destroyed by the rumen. Often I see that oral goat dosages are higher than for other animals due to it having to survive a trip through the rumen...don't know about Baycox...

I am dosing my doeling over the wknd w/ ALbon and will report back after I run another fecal!

13. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    PS what's more fascinating than goat poop? LOL

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Ive heard of a dosage of 1cc per 12lbs maybe we should try this instead?

Glad it did help your other guys -- Hope the Albon helps this poor baby

15. myfavgoats

myfavgoats New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    I have not use Baycox. Mine was called goat aid-C.. I have done my self with fecal and stuff like that. It works soo well for us. I do give my goats once every 3 weeks UNTIL 1 year old. I give 1 cc per 12 lbs. I always give them goat aid c while they dont have milk or water to drink for 20 mins. So I can make sure it goes thru their stomach. It works so welll for us. So far no problems.. I had fecal one time and we only see 1 egg of coccidia. and retest again and it was still the same. No problems at all. I keep an eye on it. I do fecal once a month.