bear Issue- need electric fencing advice!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by 4kids, Dec 23, 2009.

1. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Believe it or not we had a bear break into (literally rip door off) of our chicken house. I am crazy concerned about our goats as is the DEP officer in our area. It is a large male bear. We have had bears before but I quess it wasn't such a big deal. I have 5 foot fencing but.... I am considering electric fencing but I know nothing about it. Here are my questions...

1) I have children- little ones. Surely, I will teach them to stay away from it but how severe is the shock? I am thinking of lining one area of our property with electric fence at the tree line

2) how expensive is it? Where do I get it? How easy to install? My father in law is an electrician so not to concerned there except that it is winter and no posts will be going in until spring.

any suggestions are helpful

Thanks
    Jen

2. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    We have poultry electronetting that is supposed to keep out bears. Ours is from Premier and you can look it up online. We have the type that is easier to move around because we move it for the goats to give them access to new/fresh pasture. However a friend of ours just bought some to put around his chickens and he is in more of a bear area as he backs up to the mountain. His is taller and the posts are more rigid (but you still push them into the ground - no fence post digging). It makes it harder to move around, but his is for more of a permanent use - I believe it is called permanet. If you call that company and explain your needs, they will tell you which fencing would work the best for you. Ours is hooked up to a solar charger, has a solar panel, etc, but can be hooked into a regular electric charger if you have access to electricity where you'll be using it. The one downside for us has been that in our recent snow storm of 20+ issues, it is grounded out so it is important that you do have another type of fencing around your chickens. It just depends on where you live. And perhaps a different type they sell wouldn't have that problem and would still keep out the bears.

3. BetterBuckskins

BetterBuckskins New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Taxachusetts
    Electric fence is relatively inexpensive. The most important thing is to get an appropriate charger
    That shocks effectively, otherwise it will just tickle, and I imagine that you want to impress the bear. The shock won't feel good to your kids but it won't physically hurt them, unless they were tangled in it. Your relative with electrical knowledge can advise you as to what to get. we use the Parker-McCrory Super Energizer 4, it really packs a wallop, but keeps the bucks in line, and the coyotes so far have left us alone... I guess the biggest problem at this time of year is getting the ground pole into the ground, without a good ground the system won't work... My parents have had bear problems further north in wachusett mountain area. Didn't know they were down south too.

4. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    I'm sorry - I forgot to say that I also have young children and they have not touched it - we probably told them a million times that it would hurt them and probably really scared them about it -- but they have yet touch it. If you have a really little one, you would definitely always want to be present as I have heard some kids crawling into netting. My husband has zapped himself a few times and it hurts, but he has survived :wink: Another friend who has it got zapped when it was raining and that was much more painful . . . just a heads-up.

5. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    okay- Sounds good. Ground is frozen this time of year. I do need some kind of fencing near the goats and chickens as an extra pecaution. I do hve young children but only my 7 and up are allowed outdoors alone due to bear issues and in an area I can see. when we due animal chores I am always outside

6. BetterBuckskins

Feb 1, 2009
    Taxachusetts
    We had the electric netting and it works well, but as peeps said it grounds out in the snow. It also is the most likely for something to get tangled in, we have had goat kids get tangled in it before, with no lasting effect, but we were present and got them untangled immediately. We don't have any human kids on the property. :wink:

7. BetterBuckskins

Feb 1, 2009
    Taxachusetts
  8. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I thought bears hibernated during the winter months. Did someone forget to tell the bear?

9. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I am not sure how to describe but here goes...

I am trying to do the back area of my property but not the front facing the road. If I need a closed circuit then this won't work. There is 28 acreas in the back which is a bear playland that I do not want to enclose just want the front 2 acreas blocked off so they arean't coming down into the liveable land area. Do I have to use t-posts or can I use trees? How expensive is the netting? I am still going to use our fencing for both chickens and goats in addition. I just want the electric fencing as a first line of defense. I know where the come down for the most part. My goats are close to my house and I don't love the idea of bears that close! Goats, kids, chicken, ducks, children and all!

10. BetterBuckskins

Feb 1, 2009
    Taxachusetts
    you can use trees, you don't need the fence to connect from one end to the other, if this is what you mean by closed circuit.

11. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Ashley- when you say it grounds out in the snow do you mean that it stops working when it touches snow? (for example if the bottom wire is 6 inches off the ground and the snow then becomes 7 inches thick it would stop working?) Also a closed circuit would mean the electricity can run in an unbreakable loop

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    BetterBuckskins is my mom. ;)

What she means is it wont work as good when it is touching the snow. And if it is touching enough snow then it may not work at all because the snow drags the current.

13. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    When we had 8" of snow, it was still pulsing, but the shock was not as good.
    When we had 20+" of snow, we just turned it off. Part of it will depend on how strong your charger is. My husband just said a pos/neg option of fencing might be less likely to ground out, so you might want to look that up.

Yes, I can see how a kid could get tangled in some kinds of netting. For the poultry netting, though, the squares are very small at the bottom and get progressively larger as you reach the top of the netting. We specifically chose this kind (it is more expensive) as we thought there would be less issue with the goat kids getting caught in it. However, If you get netting designed for goats, the squares will be larger and possibly more of an issue could exist there . . . something to think about if you go the netting route :)

14. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    After talking with the guy at tractor supply- I am confused. He said the charge would have to be vey high to stop a bear (kill my children if touching and that i should just use horse fencing around the perimeter. He said it may not stop it but could deter them. Thoughts? By the way- we do not own guns in my family- so that isn't an option.

15. BetterBuckskins

Feb 1, 2009
    Taxachusetts
    You have to think what kind of people are they hiring at tractor supply? 1) They don't sell electric fences that kill people 2) I gave you a link to an article that told you how they work to deter bears. 3)Nothing I know of will STOP a determined bear except a shotgun.

16. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    very good point. I will have to take time to do some more research. Just wondering others opinions...

17. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    agree

we had three bears here last month near the goat pens, My Great Pyrenees spotted them first, we were both inside and she started barking, let her out and turned on some lights, guns by the door in case. out they ran.
    Out in Bristol Bay where we used to live (like brooks falls area), we had chickens, average 4-5 grizzlies would pass through the yard daily, we didnt have electric fencing, just a Great Pyrenees. She's chase off fox, wolverine, bear, eagles etc.

do you have a guard dog? in case you cant get electirc fencing, i know it isnt as effective in the winters. I a think once those bears think its fun to break stuff and get free chicken, or goats, they'll come back :worried:

18. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    We have two large mastiffs (our male is aggressive and well over 200lbs). I don't think I can convince my husband to get another dog :)

19. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Nothing will stop a determined bear except LEAD. Electric fencing will deter them and make them think twice about crossing the fence, the dog barking and even a few motion lights will act as deterant as well.

Any way you can lock up your critter feeds in a separate area away from where the animals are housed? Bears are omnivores but will go after plant/grains before they will kill an animal for food...takes less effort to knock over a feed can. Also, would the game commission be willing to set a trap and relocate the bear?

20. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    feed isn't in with goats or chickens. DEP will not trap and relocate until he attacks one of my goats. Chickens don't count in their eyes.