Beards

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by TexasRanger, Jul 13, 2010.

1. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I knew this is a stupid question, why do goats have beards? I know it's not a secondary sex characteristic, since both does and bucks can have them. Just a random thing I've been thinking about.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Not a stupid question at all.... It is genetics.....Bucks that begin to get them... indicates they are maturing...and becoming a man...when they are young they do not have them yet.... Does in certain species ....have them.... In boers for example ...the does are less likely to have them... then other breeds...but you can see it sometimes..... It is kinda like ...some people have freckles... while others don't..."Genetics" :thumb: :wink:

3. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks, I could never find anything about it in my goat books.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome.... glad to help.... :thumb: :wink:

5. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Also, do they get thicker as they age? Mishka has a very thick and long beard that is just perfect to braid :leap: , yet Snickers and Rollo, have literally ten hairs. :oops:

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    haha, some beards are just better.

I have a fullblood mature doe with 6-7 long hairs there, my alpine buck has a 1 1/2' long, thick, shiny beard!
    and Rush , my FB from pam has about 1" going there.

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My oldest doe Bootsie has one that is long, I would imagine it would have been longer after 10 years of growing but each set of kids she's had would trim it for her! She'd have a good 6-7 inches before she kidded each time but once her babies turned 2-3 weeks old, she'd end up with a 2 inch bristle brush on her chin!

With does, they don't tend to get thicker...my little pygmy Heidi has like 6 long hairs, 3 on each side of her chin, they just sprouted a year ago and it hasn't filled in at all, her dam had a nice long beard and so did her grammy Boots so I guess it depends on the goat as to wether they'll get a beard or not.

8. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    My does that tend to have short hair shed theirs in summer while the does who tend to have longer hair keep theirs.

9. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    I would in fact call it a secondary sex trait. Doe beards and buck beards don't look the same, and in my experience, wethers develop DOE beards and not the full faced buck beards. Maybe it's just my Toggs, but I think I've noticed it on other breeds as well.

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yep, wethers tend to have very "feminine" beards, my buck that was wethered at 2 years old has lost his "bucky" beard and now has just a short lil' thing on his chin.

11. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    All of my goaties have beards - except the whethers. The does' beards are much thinner while the bucks have a very pronounced beard. I leave them when shearing cause I think they're so cute and for some reason, city folk seem to know when they visit that if the critter has a beard, it's a goat not a sheep. :shrug:

12. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009

When I have visitors here, they always ask me if the goats are all "billies" because they have beards. lol

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I get the same thing Shell..... people seem to think that I have a bunch of "billy goats" not only because of beards, but horns! I even had one lady argue with me over my Tilly...she kept insisting she was a billy goat until she saw her kids nursing! That was one lady that really ticked me off :veryangry:

14. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009

I get that too. With the beards on a few, and the horns, which most of my herd have. So funny.

Almost as funny as the guy that called wanting to buy a wether to milk LOL

15. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Its almost as bad as people calling wethers "a fixed buck". I saw an ad for a "Pygmy Billy" and it said it was fixed...Argh.

16. jjj536

jjj536 New Member

Sep 16, 2016
    I have an approximately 3 year old Nubian cross (castrated). I have had him for a year now and notice that he has lost his beard. I am inquiring into if this is a hormone related issue, being castrated, or dietary reasons.