Beau ate a deck screw...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by wep300, Jan 28, 2010.

1. wep300

wep300 Guest

Jan 24, 2010
    We adopted 2 nubians about 2 yr old from a couple that was divorcing. Know a lot about chickens and dogs, not so much about goats.

I was putting the finishing touches on the shed & Beau ate a 2 1/2" deck screw. (Tried to pry it out of his mouth, but couldn't)

2 days later and he seems fine--anything I should do (or should have done).

Thanks, Wray :whatgoat:

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Well, why in the world would he do that??? Sometimes I wonder about goats! LOL

I have to say.... that doesn't sound good. I don't know how on earth he'll be able to digest or pass a screw that large??? Hopefully he spit it out when you weren't looking????? You'd think he'd be showing some signs of serious discomfort by now if he didn't. (Hunched up, tail down, more or less vocal, less active, loss of appetite, blood in pellets or cud) Does he have any of those symptoms.... or anything else out of the ordinary?

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow.... that is scary.... :shocked: normally... a goat won't eat something like that....they will fumble it around ...and then spit it out.... hopefully that was the case....... but ........if you think.. it was ingested for sure...I recommend.. taking the goat to the vet and getting an xray done to make sure....it can do major damage.... :hug:

4. wep300

wep300 Guest

Jan 24, 2010
    I feel comforted by the "normally a goat won't eat something like that. Maybe I'll go over the pen area with a big magnet and see if I can find it.

Like the idea of checking for blood in the cud. How does one do that?

5. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    A metal detector (the kind they use for woodworking) might be able to detect a logged screw in her body ...I would call a vet and get advise because it very well could cause a serious problem if the point sticks somewhere in the gut or bowel. Not sure if the body would dessolve the screw. The body could also form a growth over the screw to protect itself. I would think if it were to pass 3 days would be enough time. Good luck with this!!