Bedding Suggestions

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sybil, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    I have always used straw for bedding or cheap grass hay. What does everyone else use to keep the animals dry in the barn?
    Sue

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Hi Sybil, we put down a thick layer of shavings then straw. After that wasted hay.

3. Candy

Candy New Member

I use 'Stall Dry' for horses--put wood shavings over that and cover with wasted hay or straw. It seems to work pretty well for me.
    Candy :sun:

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Wasted hay for my goats....it's unfortunately very easy to come by!

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I like plain old straw and wasted hay...this time of year I like to put dried leaves (non-poisonous only, of course) under their straw. It makes really good mulch for the garden!

6. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    I too have used straw for bedding I have tried wood shavings but they all keep eating them!

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Straw seems to work the best for us as long as it stays pretty dry where you have it. Shavings seem to not last as long and then leftover hay seems to work alright, but sometimes it's just to trampled on to make much of a bed.

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    So true! Same here. :roll: I buy the best quality I can find and they still waste it. . . . :sigh: Oh, well. It does make nice bedding. :)

I put a layer of dry den pellets (the kind they put in horse stalls) underneath straw in kidding pens though. Keeps babies and moms nice and warm.

9. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    :ROFL: I had to laugh at this, mine do the same thing! I stick with straw and wasted hay.

10. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We usually straw or leftover hay.