The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, our Saanen, Snowy, was stung by a bee this fall. It swelled up, over a number of days, and we watched in dismay when her goat sisters decided to head butt her and literally popped her swollen skin. I bribed her to get in the stanchion and proceeded to irrigate the now open wound with hydrogen perioxide and also expressed, at minimum, a cup (probably more) of what looked like cottage cheese. Things started to heal up almost immediately but no covering was tolerated. Now we fast forward to a few weeks ago when her neck showed similar swelling. Snowy is frisky, bullying her sisters, and is eating & drinking really well. Do I call in a vet, let time work through it, or do I administer a dewormer in case some parasite entered the open wound and went in to the throat area subcutaneously? Any advice would be so very much appreciated!! Thank you!!

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Everyone, thank you for all the advice & support!! We had a delay in getting Snowy to the vet, bad ice storm and vet cancelled, but all worked out as the swelling area popped again, vet was able to fit us in & actually was happy that the area was open as it is not super safe dealing with goats and their jugler (per vet). So, long story short, Snowy is still sulking, she will take awhile to forgive us, but is healing up nicely. Do your animals let you know that they are not impressed occasionally? Oh my, animals certainly communicate!! The vet checked her out and Snowy had no external or internal parasites. No stinger still embedded. The goop was mostly out but we were able to express some more, then irrigate, then antimicrobial applied, then a nasty shot that hurt like the devil, if you can gauge Snowy's reaction, then we returned home, and all seems well, except for the cold shoulder, lol!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts