The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess what? We are planning on getting some bees soon so that we can have own honey! 馃嵂馃悵Yay! We were wondering if the bees would bother our goats? Does anyone have any experience with that? Or should we not worry about it.

Thanks in advance!

Registered
Its ok if as suggested have far them away from the goats. There has been cases of goats getting too close and being stung multiple times. One little one got stuck in the fence..the stings were so many he nearly died of anaphylactic shock. Keep epinephrine handy or a bottle of Benadryl on hand.

Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
Congratulations on becoming a beekeeper! You are going to love honey!

My sister's bee yard is right outside one of my goat pastures. The hives are facing away from the pasture so the goats aren't in the direct flight path of the bees.

If you are interested, my sister is on the forum Bee Master which has been a great help to her. She's also on the World Wide Beekeeping forum.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congratulations on becoming a beekeeper! You are going to love honey!

My sister's bee yard is right outside one of my goat pastures. The hives are facing away from the pasture so the goats aren't in the direct flight path of the bees.

If you are interested, my sister is the forum Bee Master which has been a great help to her. She's also on the World Wide Beekeeping forum.
Thanks for letting me know about those forums!

Registered
I have kept bees for years. Please do lots of education and research before getting bees. Take some beekeeping classes, visit with local beekeepers, even visit an apiary if possible. I say all this to say beekeeping is a lot like raising goats. There are lots of variables that determine your success or failure, pleasure or heartache, profit or loss. As far as keeping bees near goats, one of the main concerns is the goats jumping on the hives and otherwise disturbing the bees which will affect both their production and attitude. Something I am battling here in Texas is my gentle bees becoming "Africanized". This occurs when an Africanized swarm moves in, kills my queen, and takes over my hive. It can also occur when a virgin queen goes on her mating flight. She will mate with several drones on that flight and will use their sperm throughout the course of her life. The sperm is stored in "layers" and as the queen releases an egg, it passes through the layer of sperm. That is why a hive can seemingly be a totally different hive in a few weeks time....they go through stages where the genetics are from different daddys. If she mates with an African drone, all the eggs fertilized by that sperm will be very aggressive. The aggressive trait is the dominate trait. All this being said, I have had "Africanized" hives that would become very defensive even when the goats were a long way off. Also, when I encounter those hives, they remain highly agitated and will chase me for a quarter mile and willingly attack any poor goat in their path. I now keep the goats far away from the bees when I work them or harvest honey. It is important that I requeen regularly to keep my bees gentle and my goats safe. As far as being deadly, I think the amount of bee venom required to kill is seven stings per pound, that is of course if you aren't allergic. Sounds like you're on the right path! Good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have kept bees for years. Please do lots of education and research before getting bees. Take some beekeeping classes, visit with local beekeepers, even visit an apiary if possible. I say all this to say beekeeping is a lot like raising goats. There are lots of variables that determine your success or failure, pleasure or heartache, profit or loss. As far as keeping bees near goats, one of the main concerns is the goats jumping on the hives and otherwise disturbing the bees which will affect both their production and attitude. Something I am battling here in Texas is my gentle bees becoming "Africanized". This occurs when an Africanized swarm moves in, kills my queen, and takes over my hive. It can also occur when a virgin queen goes on her mating flight. She will mate with several drones on that flight and will use their sperm throughout the course of her life. The sperm is stored in "layers" and as the queen releases an egg, it passes through the layer of sperm. That is why a hive can seemingly be a totally different hive in a few weeks time....they go through stages where the genetics are from different daddys. If she mates with an African drone, all the eggs fertilized by that sperm will be very aggressive. The aggressive trait is the dominate trait. All this being said, I have had "Africanized" hives that would become very defensive even when the goats were a long way off. Also, when I encounter those hives, they remain highly agitated and will chase me for a quarter mile and willingly attack any poor goat in their path. I now keep the goats far away from the bees when I work them or harvest honey. It is important that I requeen regularly to keep my bees gentle and my goats safe. As far as being deadly, I think the amount of bee venom required to kill is seven stings per pound, that is of course if you aren't allergic. Sounds like you're on the right path! Good luck.
Thanks so much for that info!

Registered
Some of my mom's beehives are like 3 feet away from my goat pens. Not really ideal, but it's where the orchard is so that's where we've got them. It's been 3 or 4 years and I've only had 2 occasions where a goat has been stung, both very mild cases, just a kick and a jump pretty much. The only thing I'd caution is that if you use those natural fly sprays on your goats, the lemon grass in them does attract bees. Learned that one the hard way when I sprayed one of my does on a hot day when the bees were active! She wasn't stung, but she had 5 bees instantly land on her and I think it weirded her out 馃構 For the most part the bees are very docile.

Registered
Great advice here. I also have bees and goats. No problems. But a few things to keep in mind......as stated, don't have the entrance to the bee hive facing the goat area. Bees will come and go and there can easily be 10,000 bees in a hive. Don't have the hives in the pasture with the goats, it should be located in an area that gets very little travel. And bees need water so if your goats watering buckets are all they can find, they will congregate there if you have a dry climate or on hot days. Add a bird bath away from the goats but not far from the hive.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great advice here. I also have bees and goats. No problems. But a few things to keep in mind......as stated, don't have the entrance to the bee hive facing the goat area. Bees will come and go and there can easily be 10,000 bees in a hive. Don't have the hives in the pasture with the goats, it should be located in an area that gets very little travel. And bees need water so if your goats watering buckets are all they can find, they will congregate there if you have a dry climate or on hot days. Add a bird bath away from the goats but not far from the hive.
Got it, thanks!

Super Moderator
Each year, my neighbor had bee鈥檚 come in to pollinate the almond tree鈥檚. He is a distance away and I hate the bee鈥檚.

Many of those bee鈥檚, go to the goats water and some float in there and drown.

When my goats try to get a drink of water, the bee鈥檚 are flying around there and some of my goats are getting stung.
It is a miserable time and when I clean out the trough, the bee鈥檚 are quite aggressive with me.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Each year, my neighbor had bee鈥檚 come in to pollinate the almond tree鈥檚. He is a distance away and I hate the bee鈥檚.

When my goats try to get a drink of water, the bee鈥檚 are flying around there and some of my goats are getting stung.
It is a miserable time and when I clean out the trough, the bee鈥檚 are quite aggressive with me.
Hmm, we鈥檒l be sure to put a birdbath near the hive and luckily we are getting Italian bees so I think they鈥檙e more docile.馃槈

Registered

It sounds like they are very thirsty. Try setting out a cheap bird bath, or make something similar and keep water in it. I've seen inexpensive little fountains that float in the water and spray a bit of it into the air, working from a small solar panel. This will attract the bees....they will see the spraying water and are more likely to leave the goat's water alone. Put a few stones in the water so that they can land there and walk down to the edge of the water to drink and not drown. This might be what is causing the bees to be more aggressive near the water you have......they can't access the water without possibly drowning and they are very thirsty. Might give it a try?

Registered
I don鈥檛 own bees but I let a bee keeper store their bees here when they are no longer needed on orchards. A few keepers ago they had seriously mean bees! We finally had to ask them to take them away and not come back. The ones we have now are annoying docile. Docile enough that the cows would get to rubbing on the boxes and destroy them because they did nothing to the cows. They love the goats protein tubs and the chickens scratch (for some reason) and have never had one stung. The horses are semi close to where they keep them and we did have issues with them getting in the troughs and then getting on the horses noses to get out, which of course the horses were not fans of. That was a easy fix though I just put small blocks of wood in the troughs so they can climb out. But as long as they are not mean I say they are so worth it! We trade with the keeper and get all the honey we want and I am thrilled with the arrangement. Plus it bugs my one annoying city neighbor so bonus points for that lol

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don鈥檛 own bees but I let a bee keeper store their bees here when they are no longer needed on orchards. A few keepers ago they had seriously mean bees! We finally had to ask them to take them away and not come back. The ones we have now are annoying docile. Docile enough that the cows would get to rubbing on the boxes and destroy them because they did nothing to the cows. They love the goats protein tubs and the chickens scratch (for some reason) and have never had one stung. The horses are semi close to where they keep them and we did have issues with them getting in the troughs and then getting on the horses noses to get out, which of course the horses were not fans of. That was a easy fix though I just put small blocks of wood in the troughs so they can climb out. But as long as they are not mean I say they are so worth it! We trade with the keeper and get all the honey we want and I am thrilled with the arrangement. Plus it bugs my one annoying city neighbor so bonus points for that lol
Ooh...I can鈥檛 WAIT to have our own honey. We have a neighbor right next to us who used to share his honey with us and we鈥檇 give them a couple dozen farm-fresh eggs in return. Well, we just gave them another four dozen eggs about two or three weeks ago and mentioned that we鈥檇 love some of his honey again, because he hadn鈥檛 been giving it to us in a while. He said 鈥渟ure, I鈥檒l give some to you as soon as the bees make honey.鈥 ...We saw him harvest his honey over two weeks ago and he hasn鈥檛 said a word. So we got tired of waiting ( and tired of their rudeness, basically) and thought, 鈥榠f he can raise his own honeybees, why can鈥檛 we?鈥 Plus, we have so many fruit trees in bloom which would be great for our honey too...which his bees also feed from. He doesn鈥檛 have much of a garden so the least he could do is give us some honey since we provide a wonderful garden for the bees. But that doesn鈥檛 matter now since we will have our own.馃槈 Now we won鈥檛 have any reason to give him our eggs.馃槃

Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
With my sisters eight hives we have never had a problem with the bees going after the goats water or being a bother to the goats at all. We do have easy water sources for our bees though. Bees actually prefer dirty water so if you put out a water source that is dirtier than the goats' water they should go to that instead.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
With my sisters eight hives we have never had a problem with the bees going after the goats water or being a bother to the goats at all. We do have easy water sources for our bees though. Bees actually prefer dirty water so if you put out a water source that is dirtier than the goats' water they should go to that instead.
Interesting!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts