The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
83,097 Posts
The bee’s which are dropped off for pollination at our neighbors have no water because the bee keeper don’t leave any.

So they come to the only source, my goats clean water trough, so yes, they are very thirsty.
My husband puts in sticks to help them but, they still manage to get into the water and drownunless my husband sees them and he recuses them.

If the bee keeper does not change out the queen periodically, the hive of bees, get more aggressive. So be careful.
My husband and I were bee keepers at one time.
My poor goats suffer with stings, I truly hate it, they try to drink and get stung on their mouth, nose and around their eyes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It sounds like you are very experienced with bees....I'm so sorry you are having such trouble with them around your goats waterers. Another thing to try......I've seen people use poultry waterers for bees in such cases. If you are around almond trees it is probably very hot and dusty with no water anywhere. You can fill up a poultry waterer with almost 5 gallons of water and it will give the bees a place to go and you don't have to keep such a close eye on refilling it, plus it would not be so deep in water that the bees would drown. You may have thought of this before but I really feel for you!

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I know I am repeating what others have said but we love our bees and our honey. We put the boxes in a pen that is beside the pasture. The goats never had a problem with the bees but we had to make sure they could not get in the pen as they would knock the hives over.
It is also important to give them their own water; though ours still seem to prefer the cat's water and the swimming pool.
Best of luck to you and your hives!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I know I am repeating what others have said but we love our bees and our honey. We put the boxes in a pen that is beside the pasture. The goats never had a problem with the bees but we had to make sure they could not get in the pen as they would knock the hives over.
It is also important to give them their own water; though ours still seem to prefer the cat's water and the swimming pool.
Best of luck to you and your hives!
Thank you! Unless you meant someone else LOL

21 - 27 of 27 Posts