The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much beet pulp pellets and alfalfa pellets would you feed a 4 month old kid daily? Also how much grain should they be getting at that age completely weaned?

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Doeling, buck, or wether? Dairy or meat? What are your plans for this kid? My replacement doelings (meat) do not get more than a lb of grain/pellets per day under any circumstances. Wethers I'm growing out for slaughter usually get 1-2 lbs per day. Future herd bucks get around 1 to 1 1/2 lbs.

Be aware that anytime you mix pellets, grain, or both you are changing the protein content of the ration. For example - alfalfa pellets have 18% protein, while beet pulp has around 8% so by mixing the 2 half and half you are lowering the protein of the mix to around 10% because the beet pulp is replacing part of the alfalfa pellets.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are Nubian so I'm going to be using them for milk. I have some does and a buck all around the same age

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
If you're feeding good quality alfalfa hay, they don't need more than about 1/2 - 1 lb. If good quality grass, about 1 lb. Keep an eye on them and don't let them get fat. When doelings get too fat they deposit fat in their udders and it reduces their milking ability. Once it's there, it's very difficult to get rid of. I would not feed straight alfalfa to a buck, I would feed grass/alfalfa or a high quality grass. Of course, it's up to you. With alfalfa, I wouldn't feed more than 1 lb of grain. High quality grass, maybe 1 1/2 lbs. I hope this helps. :)

·
I'm watching you
22,552 Posts
2 cups of Alfalfa pellets is only about 10ozs.

Alfalfa pellets are not grain, they are chopped hay. I feed them free choice to everyone the same as I would if I was feeding alfalfa hay. I put enough in their feeders that they don't quite finish them before their next feeding. They regulate themselves quite well eating about 1 to 2 percent of their body weight daily.
Beet pulp is quite high in calories but, they are fiber calories not grain calories. They are basically a forage. I start at about a pound a day to youngsters once they are worked into them.

·
I'm watching you
22,552 Posts
I beg to differ. According to my scale, 1 cup is 1/2 lb. But, I used a dry weight measuring cup, too.
So, you get the exact same pellets I do from Haystack farms in Oregon and they are exactly the same diameter, length, and gravity?
Does your cup also measure rolled oats and whole oats at the same weight?

·
Registered
31,503 Posts
Since each grain is different, it would be a good idea to weight what each buys to get a weight on how much their scoop is...I use foldgers coffee can...if I weigh my alfalfa pellets and then yours Im sure it would be different....each company as their own sizes, pressure used to form the pellet, so one with a higher pressure would be heavier than a more airy pellet...this includes all grain choices...it is also a good practice weighing every so often to make sure our "pound" didnt grow in size....something that happens with my serving of ice cream :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Man harsh thread. Do people really have to argue about the weight of 1/2 cup? Kinda makes beginners leery of posting on here! Can't we all just get along?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok I just have A 2 quart feed scoop that I use for my horse feed. Roughly how would you convert that?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I too use a horse scoop and have just learned to adjust based on how they do with certain amounts. I fill with grain up to the top of the handle and that is probably 2 to 2 1/2 cups.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I've been wondering if I should feed free choice alfalfa to my goats, but I'm afraid they'll eat themselves sick if I do. They'll kill for any kind of grain, food, alfalfa, etc. I've been giving my alpine does around four pounds of alfalfa a day, along with a cup of BOSS and beets and/or squash, and other vegetables, and they always want more. Do you think if they were fed more grain they would eat less alfalfa, as in the right amount for their need?

·
Registered
132 Posts
We feed alfalfa twice a day and only feed the amount that they will clean up completely. If some is left then the next feeding they get less. Only the does we are milking or anytime one has to go into the stand for shots or trimmings get any grain. Bucks and wethers get beet pulp in place of grain. Keep their diets mostly hay and not too much grain. You'll know how much or how little to feed them based on how their body condition looks. Everyday I look everybody over and can determine if their feed needs to be adjusted.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
We feed alfalfa twice a day and only feed the amount that they will clean up completely. If some is left then the next feeding they get less. Only the does we are milking or anytime one has to go into the stand for shots or trimmings get any grain. Bucks and wethers get beet pulp in place of grain. Keep their diets mostly hay and not too much grain. You'll know how much or how little to feed them based on how their body condition looks. Everyday I look everybody over and can determine if their feed needs to be adjusted.
That sounds like a good system; I don't want to feed much/or any grain if I van help it. But my milkers are looking a bit thin, so I'm not sure what else to add to their diet?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Doeling, buck, or wether? Dairy or meat? What are your plans for this kid? My replacement doelings (meat) do not get more than a lb of grain/pellets per day under any circumstances. Wethers I'm growing out for slaughter usually get 1-2 lbs per day. Future herd bucks get around 1 to 1 1/2 lbs.

Be aware that anytime you mix pellets, grain, or both you are changing the protein content of the ration. For example - alfalfa pellets have 18% protein, while beet pulp has around 8% so by mixing the 2 half and half you are lowering the protein of the mix to around 10% because the beet pulp is replacing part of the alfalfa pellets.
ok so kids that are wethers, gonna be working goats, only get 1 lb goat feed a day? or less..i was feeding them 1 lb in morn and 1 lb in evening for 4 kids..i cut back to 1 lb in evening for all four so thats bout 1/4 lb per goat a day and all the hay and fresh grass they can eat..hooves were growing way to fast..trimming every other week..so am i doing this right? or do i need to add more kid goat pellets a day?

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
ok so kids that are wethers, gonna be working goats, only get 1 lb goat feed a day? or less..i was feeding them 1 lb in morn and 1 lb in evening for 4 kids..i cut back to 1 lb in evening for all four so thats bout 1/4 lb per goat a day and all the hay and fresh grass they can eat..hooves were growing way to fast..trimming every other week..so am i doing this right? or do i need to add more kid goat pellets a day?
How old are the kids, what breed, and what kind of hay are they getting? Front hooves or all four?

·
Registered
152 Posts
So, you get the exact same pellets I do from Haystack farms in Oregon and they are exactly the same diameter, length, and gravity?
Does your cup also measure rolled oats and whole oats at the same weight?
Hey I get my feed from haystack too! Where are you located?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts