The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been feeding a grain mixture, goathappy's recipe (Thanks Sarah!) since last summer and lately on a whim my husband went out (without me) and bought beet pulp, whole corn, and cotton seed hulls because he saw people at a dairy goat show feeding it. How can I incorporate this into their feed? Also what are the pros and cons of beet pulp and cottonseed hulls?
Thanks!!
Jamie

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I have never fed cottenseed but i do feed beet pulp during the winter. Youhave to be carful feeding it to kids and bucks as it has quite a bit of sugar in it. But it also has a lot of fiber in it. Helps my girls maintain weight during the winter months. They love it.
beth

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Beth.
I think cottonseed hulls are for fiber too but its seems like I remember reading something negative about it but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
I"m glad you like my recipe! :D You're welcome :wink:

Beet pulp is a good filler and energy. Cottonseed is supposed to have protien but I can't say for sure. This one breeder I got a goat from fed it, and I tried feeding it to my goats and they didn't really care for it. We feed a little whole corn, but not much. We bought a roller mill so that we can start cracking it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts