Beet pulp, cottonseed hulls, and corn?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by JamieRuth, Jan 11, 2008.

1. JamieRuth

JamieRuth New Member

Jan 10, 2008
    Bloomfield, KY
    We've been feeding a grain mixture, goathappy's recipe (Thanks Sarah!) since last summer and lately on a whim my husband went out (without me) and bought beet pulp, whole corn, and cotton seed hulls because he saw people at a dairy goat show feeding it. How can I incorporate this into their feed? Also what are the pros and cons of beet pulp and cottonseed hulls?
    Thanks!!
    Jamie

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have never fed cottenseed but i do feed beet pulp during the winter. Youhave to be carful feeding it to kids and bucks as it has quite a bit of sugar in it. But it also has a lot of fiber in it. Helps my girls maintain weight during the winter months. They love it.
    beth

3. JamieRuth

JamieRuth New Member

Jan 10, 2008
    Bloomfield, KY
    Thank you Beth.
    I think cottonseed hulls are for fiber too but its seems like I remember reading something negative about it but I'm not sure.

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I just did a google search on the cottonseed hulls and all i could find was it was a fiber product, i couldn't find any negative things about it.
    beth

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    whole corn is not good for goats so if you want to use it, I say only as a treat here and there.

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I"m glad you like my recipe! :D You're welcome :wink:

Beet pulp is a good filler and energy. Cottonseed is supposed to have protien but I can't say for sure. This one breeder I got a goat from fed it, and I tried feeding it to my goats and they didn't really care for it. We feed a little whole corn, but not much. We bought a roller mill so that we can start cracking it.