Beet pulp feed question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Bellafire Farm, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Some feed beet pulp and I'd be interested to know the different ways to do so...
    Wet/Dry, shredded or pellets, soaked/not soaked etc...

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I think you kind of answered the question - you can either soak(wet) or not soak (dry) ;)

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Pellets or shredded, but always dry. Mine wont touch it wet.

4. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    Agreed, mine won't eat it wet. I feed dry pellets.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I was soaking the shreds for my buck in cool water overnight...he seemed to be able to chew it better when wet as opposed to dry, I do think he has tooth issues though so maybe thats why.

6. Bellafire Farm

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Ha ha, ok I re-read my post & Stacey caught me...I did say dry or wet twice didn't I - LOL! Sorry...have a head cold...makes me loopy. :p

So it seems most feed pellets dry... right?

And how much should I give (nigerian doe's) ? I definitely prefer to give too little rather than too much. Can I just put a little handful on top of their regular grain as a top dressing? They already get Ultra Show Goat grain, a bit of BOSS seeds, a pinch of Manna Pro & free sea kelp, minerals, baking soda during milking. Umm...ok... it's not FREE (wouldn't that be nice!) but free-choice. :roll: Ugh... there's gotta be some more Dayquil around here!

But I'm looking to do all I can to increase butterfat & make sure production is Top-Notch! Plus I thought it'd be good for my older paint horse too.

7. Oat Bucket Farm

Oat Bucket Farm New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    My Mancha girls wouldn't eat the pellets,dry or wet. However they love the dry shreds which I offer pretty much free choice. I put out a feed scoop full in the mornings and it takes the three of them most of the day to eat it. They also get it mixed in their grain. One doe won't eat her oats and BOSS unless there is a handful of beet pulp shreds in it.

8. Bellafire Farm

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Perfect, thank you for the input. I know our feed store has a cheaper price on one "type" of beet pulp... can't remember which one... but something like the pellets are $1 cheaper per bag or vice-versa... but I've heard all those crazy stories about animals "Choking" on certain types or that it has to be prepared a certain way... It's all kinda sounding like ol' wives tales now. Which is great, because I'd really like to give it a try.
    Thank you again! :)

9. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    Well, I did have a goat get a piece stuck up her nose recently...I admit I laughed instead of being concerned but the wives tales may not be TOTALLY made up :laugh:

10. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    We use the shredded beet pulp as part of my "mix" dry. We always have to make sure to ask for the PLAIN shreds though as there is also the kind with molasses.

It's my understanding that the aversion is to the pellets which "expand when in contact with liquid". Some say this can cause digestion problems if fed dry and expand when coming in contact with liquids in the stomach. In order to avoid that they say to soak it prior to feeding.