Beet pulp pellets

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by FMW, Nov 30, 2020.

1. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    I have added beet pulp pellets and alfalfa pellets to their mixture a couple of weeks ago. The one Nubian doe has been having some runny manure/scours the last few days. I backed off the beet pulp today of which I give her one cup, and her manure seemed better today - it was more clumpy than runny. She's never had beet pulp before and I wonder if maybe that could cause runny manure. Any thoughts? I will see how she is later tonight or tomorrow. We had given her vitamin b complex tonight and will keep that for five days in hopes to improve the scours.

MadHouse likes this.
  2. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

That’s exactly what happened with my doe when I introduced beet pulp. I found out one cup is too much for my 100 pound doe. Now she gets 2 tablespoons of it in her ration.

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Give probiotics and a shot of b complex - and slowly add beet pulp in at small amounts until she adjusts.

lottsagoats1, Jubillee and MadHouse like this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others.

MadHouse likes this.
  5. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Yup. I use the beet pulp shreds because the pellets were just way to labor intensive. I soak the beet pulp and feed it starting late fall into mid spring. They love it, but it does give several clumpy or loosish manure for the first couple of days. I usually add powdered probiotics (I use Fastrack) to the beet pulp the first week or so and that takes case of the problem for my herd. I also start off with a yogurt cup of the soaked BP and work my way up from there.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    MadHouse likes this.
  6. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Agreed to all. I feed a combination of alfalfa pellets, BOSS, cracked corn and steam rolled oats and add in a bit of beet pulp when they look like they could use a few lbs, or when they're pregnant. At most I'll put a quarter cup at a time, but generally it's just a small sprinkle.

7. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    thanks everyone.. her manure is back to normal. I will soak the pellets and give her a tiny bit at a time.

MadHouse likes this.
  8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You don't have to soak the beet pulp. You can if you want to but it isn't necessary.

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.