The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a doe who is giving me 3 cups in one milking -- great yes, but bad for her as she is very thin.

It is Aspen.

I have been increasing her grain but with no results plus she has access to browse almost all day.

So for those of you who use beat pulp what kind do you like best, pellets or shredded? What does a bag usually run? How much do you feed your doe/s. Aspen is a nigerian dwarf so if you are feeding standard dairy make note of that for me.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I have some milkers who are thin too, even with getting a hefty amount of grain. I am going to dry them up as soon as I can to get condition on them. I have just started feeding Beet Pulp and I buy the shredded kind. I feed one cup twice a day, I am scared to give them anymore then that. They get 2 cups of grain with Fast track and BOSS twice a day as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mine LOVE the beet pulp and get excited when they see me go to the bin to get some for them. I could not get hay at all last year and the breeder told me to use beet pulp. I get mine from Tractor Supply and it just went up in price to $13.49 for 40 lbs.
They told me to put water in it and feed it to them soft, but mine don't like it when it's wet so I feed it dry over their grain and sometimes put out a whole bucket for them. (10 goats).
They love the beet pulp more than the grain.
I don't have any milkers.

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
Ok - I have to get it on this - because as I skimmed the posts I didn't see this -

**** Make sure you soak the beet pulp before you give it to any animal ****

Beet pulp swells to about 3-4 times the original size and can cause blockages. I have seen animals choke on it and have heard of horses dying from it not being soaked. I use beet pulp on my horses when I got them because 2 of them were soooo skinny. I would soak it for about 20 minutes in warm water and then add a small amount of molassas and then the alfalfa pellets. I know with horses that you can also add a cup or so of regular Vegetable Oil (yeppers cooking oil) to help bulk - not sure if goats can handle the oil or not.

All stock stores carry beet pulp and I pay about 14.00 for a 50 pound bag. Now over winter it was flying off of the shelves faster then it could come in - but you should not have a problem this time of year.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have read that you don't have to soak the shredded kind.

If you watch alfafa pellets they swell up too -- but no one says to soak them :shrug:

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
Alfalfa pellets do not swell any where near the amount that the beet pulp does. Also beet pulp tends to be alot heavier on the stomach (it is weight wise also)

On my horse forum they say to soak the shredded also ..... but to each his own I guess. I personally soak all of my beet pulp - I would rather be safe. I don't soak the alfalfa usually unless I put a hint of molassas water on it as a treat

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Fritzie, Good to see you here. How are you doing?

Ok, I have used Beet pulp for years and I was aslo told to ALWAYS soak it. I have friends that do not soak it and they have never had any trouble either. So I think you will be safe if you do not soak it.

When my does kid, I do saok mine but I also add a little more molasses in it so they will eat it. In the winter they LOVE it when it is soaked in warm or hot water.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Here is where the confusion is. Horses you MUST soak it, Goats you DO NOT have to soak it. If it is the shredded kind. Just do not over feed it.

I know many long time breeders that feed it without soaking, and have had not problems with it.

·
627 Posts
i just bought my first bag of shredded pulp at TSC
40# for $13.49 and it already has molasses added to it
i soak it
i mix 2C of pulp with 3C of water and let soak all day then before i mix it i put it in a strainer and squeeze the excess water out
the goats seem to like it
there is never anything left
but i don't see an increase in milk production yet

PS)
what is "distillers" and what is it's purpose?

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yes I am feeding alfafa pellets -- maybe not enough :shrug: what do you suggest for a nigerian doe who is 2 years old and giving 3 cups of milk just in the morning?

I am not looking for more production just to condition Aspen who doesn't look really bad but I can really feel her ribs!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts