beet pulp questions

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by StaceyRosado, Jun 12, 2008.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Ok so I have a doe who is giving me 3 cups in one milking -- great yes, but bad for her as she is very thin.

It is Aspen.

I have been increasing her grain but with no results plus she has access to browse almost all day.

So for those of you who use beat pulp what kind do you like best, pellets or shredded? What does a bag usually run? How much do you feed your doe/s. Aspen is a nigerian dwarf so if you are feeding standard dairy make note of that for me.

Thanks

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I have some milkers who are thin too, even with getting a hefty amount of grain. I am going to dry them up as soon as I can to get condition on them. I have just started feeding Beet Pulp and I buy the shredded kind. I feed one cup twice a day, I am scared to give them anymore then that. They get 2 cups of grain with Fast track and BOSS twice a day as well.

3. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i use the shredded also & i mix it with alfalfa pelletts. mine get a scoop with there grain twice aday. some lines just don't put the weight on if they are good milkers. i have had some that i had to dry off before they would look good.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how much is your scoop? like a cup or two cups?

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I feed the pellets. I just throw two handfuls in with their grain.

6. hprice3920

hprice3920 New Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Mine LOVE the beet pulp and get excited when they see me go to the bin to get some for them. I could not get hay at all last year and the breeder told me to use beet pulp. I get mine from Tractor Supply and it just went up in price to $13.49 for 40 lbs.
    They told me to put water in it and feed it to them soft, but mine don't like it when it's wet so I feed it dry over their grain and sometimes put out a whole bucket for them. (10 goats).
    They love the beet pulp more than the grain.
    I don't have any milkers.

7. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    a level scoop is about the same as a 1 pound coffee can.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    now the question is going to be finding someone in my area that carries it :GAAH:

9. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I get the shredded kind but not all the goats get it all the time.We also feed it to the horses.

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ok - I have to get it on this - because as I skimmed the posts I didn't see this -

**** Make sure you soak the beet pulp before you give it to any animal ****

Beet pulp swells to about 3-4 times the original size and can cause blockages. I have seen animals choke on it and have heard of horses dying from it not being soaked. I use beet pulp on my horses when I got them because 2 of them were soooo skinny. I would soak it for about 20 minutes in warm water and then add a small amount of molassas and then the alfalfa pellets. I know with horses that you can also add a cup or so of regular Vegetable Oil (yeppers cooking oil) to help bulk - not sure if goats can handle the oil or not.

All stock stores carry beet pulp and I pay about 14.00 for a 50 pound bag. Now over winter it was flying off of the shelves faster then it could come in - but you should not have a problem this time of year.

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have read that you don't have to soak the shredded kind.

If you watch alfafa pellets they swell up too -- but no one says to soak them :shrug:

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Alfalfa pellets do not swell any where near the amount that the beet pulp does. Also beet pulp tends to be alot heavier on the stomach (it is weight wise also)

On my horse forum they say to soak the shredded also ..... but to each his own I guess. I personally soak all of my beet pulp - I would rather be safe. I don't soak the alfalfa usually unless I put a hint of molassas water on it as a treat

13. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i have been feeding the shredded for 5 years now & i have never wet it. mine won't eat it if it is wet. i have never had any one swell from it.
    i get mine at the coop but tracktor supply also carries it as do most feed stores.

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Fritzie, Good to see you here. How are you doing?

Ok, I have used Beet pulp for years and I was aslo told to ALWAYS soak it. I have friends that do not soak it and they have never had any trouble either. So I think you will be safe if you do not soak it.

When my does kid, I do saok mine but I also add a little more molasses in it so they will eat it. In the winter they LOVE it when it is soaked in warm or hot water.

15. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Here is where the confusion is. Horses you MUST soak it, Goats you DO NOT have to soak it. If it is the shredded kind. Just do not over feed it.

I know many long time breeders that feed it without soaking, and have had not problems with it.

groovyoldlady likes this.
  16. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    hi lori i am doing pretty good. i had to go yeasterday for a blood transfusion so pretty tired today.
    i think if i was to feed the pelletts then i would soak but never have had to the shredded

17. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  18. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    i just bought my first bag of shredded pulp at TSC
    40# for $13.49 and it already has molasses added to it
    i soak it
    i mix 2C of pulp with 3C of water and let soak all day then before i mix it i put it in a strainer and squeeze the excess water out
    the goats seem to like it
    there is never anything left
    but i don't see an increase in milk production yet

PS)
    what is "distillers" and what is it's purpose?

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes I am feeding alfafa pellets -- maybe not enough :shrug: what do you suggest for a nigerian doe who is 2 years old and giving 3 cups of milk just in the morning?

I am not looking for more production just to condition Aspen who doesn't look really bad but I can really feel her ribs!

20. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007