Beet Pulp ??'s

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Muddy Creek Farm, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I have heard lots of people say they feed Beet pulp. Do you add water to it?
  2. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    I mix it in with their grain dry.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am going to get some for my does that have kidded. For some reason they are not looking great. I feed them lots of alfalfa hay and grain but they are just not adding the weight like they should, so I am getting some today and I add mine wet to their grain.
  4. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    I mix mine in dry with their grain.
  5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

It depends on what kind of beet pulp you get, If you get the pelleted kind you have to soak it. when it gets wet it expands to about double if not more its sixze. You don't want it to do that in your goats stomach, you run the risk of them bloating and dyeing. I lost a doe a few years ago that got into dry beet pulp. You have to be very carful feeding it to pregnant does and kids and buck. Beet pulp has a lot of sugar in it. I feed beet pulp during the winter months as an extra fiber product in their diet. I make sure to buy dry cob rather then wet cob as there is less sugar. Also make sure that they have plenty of roughage, A good hay mixture. Too much sugar can cause a lot of problems.
    What are your pregnant girls getting for feed now?
  6. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    i have been feeding the shredded beet pulp for 5 years now. i do not give it to my bucks just the does. i use it as a top dress with there grain. they only get about a 1/2 cup of it aday while preg. once they kid i will increas there grain & also mix the beet pulp with alfalfa pellets as a top dress.
  7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    We feed it soaked in water and molasses to does that won't eat their grain, they really like it :)
  8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    what at the benifits of it? just curious
  9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

beet pulp is a fiber product, gives them a little extra roughage, helpful in the winter when things are covered in snow and things arn't growing. Its also helpful when you have one that won't eat they like the sweet taste. Helps them gain weight from what i can see. though i have heard people say it keeps them from gainineg weight. But i have always used it as a little more filler when i have an animal that is getting skinny.
  10. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    i feed it mostly to the does to add a little extra taste to there grain. i also have seen my goats but on wight eating it. not sure this is related to it but since i started giving it to my doe i have not had a case of ketosis. i do feed the one with molassase in it & shreded. my goats won't eat the peletts
  11. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    beet pulp soup LOL

I usually feed beet pulp to one of the old horses I foster just to help him keep weight on. I feed it soaked then mixed with his pellets because his teeth aren't so good and he drops and wastes more feed if it is dry. Well anyway when I had a doe with her newborns in the horse barn for a few days when the temps dropped and I was mixing up the beet pulp with hot water since it was so cold and the doe came over and started slurping it up. So I have experimented with beet pulp soup "recipes" and ALL my goats love it. (**warning** goats will get wet beards and ears and faces from eating soup.) I give it to new moms every day for a week or so, in addition to regular feeding. I also feed it to my goats for a treat, when it's very coldor very hot, if someones appetite is down or if I think they need more water intake.

I believe that beet pulp can be confusing because if you feed beet pulp in addition to regular amount of grain it can help thin animals gain, but if you substitute it for grain it can satisfy but provide less calories so it can help you trim down an animal.

This is a recipe and and variations, you can adjust the quantities

2 cups beet pulp
    1 gallon water (warm in winter and cold in summer)
    stir and serve in troughs or buckets

* add 1 cup sweet feed
    ** add 1 cup COOKED oatmeal
    *** add 1 cup raisins